• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Do you want a section for the new HPS Ancient Warfare series at the blitz?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I own the first game and want to see this added to the HPS ladder.
19.05%
8 19.05%
I am planning to add this series to my gaming.
19.05%
8 19.05%
Not interested in this series.
61.90%
26 61.90%
Total 42 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

HPS Ancient Warfare Series
05-13-2007, 02:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2007, 02:58 PM by Dog Soldier.)
c_Question Mark  HPS Ancient Warfare Series
Here is a poll to determine interest in the Ancient Warfare series recently launched by HPS with their first edition, The Punic Wars. Make your vote and add comments on this new series.

Dog Soldier

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2007, 06:59 PM,
RE: HPS Ancient Warfare Series
There wasn't an option in the poll that really suited my feelings. I found this game so much user unfriendly and riddled with bugs, that despite this being my favourite period in wargaming I sent the game CD back to the shelf not loading it anymore.

From what I have read at other forums I am not the only one to have this feeling. I wonder if this series is not dead at the very first installment. As such, no point in creating a new ladder that will have little or no action, better incorporate the game into an existing one, like Classic Wargames.

Rui
05-14-2007, 04:06 AM,
Heck i wouldn't mind having all the Hps games in one ladder instead of the 4 we have now
05-14-2007, 06:49 AM,
Aetius,

I decided on three categories for the poll. Having the game, but being disappointed by the quality was not a choice, as you mentioned. I have all the HPS PzC series and have never had a quality issue. This is a surprise to me that you did.

Thank you for taking the time to "write in" your vote and feedback.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
05-14-2007, 06:53 AM,
Landser 34,

I agree with you on this point, but only in theory. The officers of the blitz work hard to try and balance the ladders. There are some new features to this series. Since none of the officers owns the first game, Punic Wars, we can not evaluate if this game series will play the same as PzC or MC. Are the scenarios comparable in size, unit density and time to play a turn? If they were considerably longer or shorter, it would skew the way the ladders work.

For now, I am trying to gather information on the series.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
05-14-2007, 11:25 AM,
Voted No.Aetius summed it up pretty well. Unfortunately. Cry

Kuriltai
05-14-2007, 02:47 PM,
All---

Are these comments related to the original or after the v101 patch?

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
05-15-2007, 09:23 AM,
The game graphically was such a disapointment that I never even tried to play a turn. Considering the state of computer graphics these days, one should at least be able to see the unit counters. The ACW games and Panzer Campaigns are not great but have good 2-D graphics. As an old board gamer that is OK with me. Punic Wars had neither 2-D graphics or 3-D graphics that were worth a crap. I am older now and my eyes just can't take crappy graphics.

Too bad. I just love the time period.

05-15-2007, 05:54 PM,
RE:��HPS Ancient Warfare Series
Dog Soldier Wrote:Are these comments related to the original or after the v101 patch?

Dog Soldier,

My comments were related at the original version, but it will not be one or two patches that will solve the game's problems.

I too was surprised that HPS launched the game as it was. One has the feeling that it was only half developed. Even the scenarios seem incomplete: it was expected that for a game named punic wars to include Zama, the concluding and decisive battle of the 2nd Punic War, but no, and there are plenty of other known names that are also not present. It's just not what HPS uses to do. But then, this is not a John Tiller game, but one by some other developer.

Rui
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM,
The game system has added turns to create a simultaneous movement phase. This might be justified by great animated graphics if the gameplay is relatively straightfoward and bug free. I certainly wouldnt expect such from HPS or anyone else in a version one.