• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Eng Bridge Abort rule in Beta
05-08-2007, 06:27 AM,
Eng Bridge Abort rule in Beta
Hey Guys:

Just wanted to follow up with all here on the thread regarding Eng being locked and often dying while holding their Bridge.

We discussed a possible solution and I put it to John. What we got was something different from what I asked for or expected, but it should do the job I think.

The new Rule is a Menu item under Engineers which allows the Bridge to be aborted. There is no BF applied to the Eng, but the Unit will have the status NO Bridge and will not be permitted to build another bridge in the Scn. That I guess is enough of a penalty. John used a similar Scn unit flag to do this. These Scn flags don't affect the OOB directly - rather it works more like the "Has Boats" status which has been applied in some scn.

Anyway - look for this to show up in the Budapest update that is pending and will follow in each new PzC|MC update that comes out.

Glenn

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2007, 07:14 AM,
RE: Eng Bridge Abort rule in Beta
I like it
05-08-2007, 07:40 AM,
Thank you for following up with feedback cheers
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM,
It answers my concerns.

Rick's idea to break the unit was an excellent example of thinking outside the square but IMO it did have the unitended by-product of rendering the unit useless as a rearguard/spotter.

If we think about it though, leaving the rule as it was, really does have the same effect as John's change. In both cases the engineer's career as a bridge builder is over. The unit is as good as mission dead, its just saved some casualty VP's.
05-08-2007, 09:54 AM,
RE:��Eng Bridge Abort rule in Beta
Adam Parker Wrote:...In both cases the engineer's career as a bridge builder is over. The unit is as good as mission dead, its just saved some casualty VP's.

Yes Adam, indeed it is finished as a Bridge Building unit, but it is still and Eng and can clear Rubble, (maybe Clear Mines) and it can ferry foot units over the river too. But more important than the victory points, the eng does live to fight another day on its own ground and as a good friend of mine said to me the other day, ENg are veryposerful units which they wished the AI used more as fighting units.

Anyway - I do think it is a good change - something very simple. SOmething that doesn't take a lot of programing to do, doesn't change the file format or require something to be back dated in the Scns either.

All in all a good thing for the Series.

Glenn
Send this user an email
05-08-2007, 01:06 PM,
I like it too... :)