• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

COW shutting down
04-06-2007, 06:24 AM,
COW shutting down
Howdy Folks. I have started getting back into COW (v1.6) to shake the cobwebs and determine if I want to get back into the game. However, on several occasions now the game has dropped to desktop on me (I am using XP). Is this a common fault?

Also, is there any way of getting the game to auto save each turn so if you do drop to DT you don't lose countless turns like I did?

Cheers

Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2007, 06:30 AM,
RE: COW shutting down
Hi Weasel

I can still get my version to play under XP no problem, but I now play TOAW 3.

If you liked ACOW, you will like TOAW3
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
04-06-2007, 07:05 AM,
is this the problem?

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/operatio...aving.html

how's it going so far....the return to TOAW, i mean, impressions?
04-06-2007, 07:17 AM,
fluidwill Wrote:is this the problem?

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/operatio...aving.html

how's it going so far....the return to TOAW, i mean, impressions?

Nope, that isn't the problem. The game just randomly shuts down during play, although I guess it could be the computer trying to save in the background. Not sure, but I will just get into the habit of manually saving every few turns just in case.

So far I am enjoying it. I started to play Barbarossa but it was too big so switched to Middle East 48 as IDF. However, on was on turn 15 and the game crashed all the way back to turn 3 so forget that. To now the computer has been pretty tough on moderate, so I got a bit more work to do. Going with Korea 50 now as UN.

If I stick with the games then I will look into TOAW 3.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
04-06-2007, 07:22 AM,
Hey, at least Matrix is offering TOAW in Cdn funds instead of US, that is nice. And digital DL save a few bucks too. However, I know with other digital DL games that patches and such won't work with them (Oblivion is an example, you cannot use a store bought expansion with the direct to drive version). Any such worries with TOAW 3?
04-06-2007, 08:11 AM,
Weasel Wrote:Hey, at least Matrix is offering TOAW in Cdn funds instead of US, that is nice. And digital DL save a few bucks too. However, I know with other digital DL games that patches and such won't work with them (Oblivion is an example, you cannot use a store bought expansion with the direct to drive version). Any such worries with TOAW 3?

no

matrix's primary way of distributing their games is digital downloads, these are normal, standard games :cool2:
04-06-2007, 04:35 PM,
RE:�� COW shutting down
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
04-06-2007, 06:57 PM,
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:You sure about that ?

I got mine as both a digital download and physical copy.

Yes. The boxed version is just for the pleasure to get... the box (I'd like to but my economy is weak :hissy:). The manual, as far as I know, is a pdf file on both versions and the patches works the same way for both. Personally I love digital download: you get the game immediately and you save money. Perfect.

Filippo
04-06-2007, 07:32 PM,
RE:���� COW shutting down
Valgua Wrote:
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:You sure about that ?

I got mine as both a digital download and physical copy.

Yes. The boxed version is just for the pleasure to get... the box (I'd like to but my economy is weak :hissy:). The manual, as far as I know, is a pdf file on both versions and the patches works the same way for both. Personally I love digital download: you get the game immediately and you save money. Perfect.

Filippo

Thats also why did the digital download and bought the physical copy as well
04-07-2007, 02:39 AM,
All my game boxes go into the garbage, so direct to drive is the way for me as long as the game is fully compatible.