• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bridge work
03-31-2007, 09:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2007, 05:37 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Bridge work
[Image: CMbridges.jpg]

BLOWING BRIDGES TEST RESULTS
(Note CM's inbuilt randomness means figures may vary slightly from game to game)

TEST 1 - HEAVY BRIDGE��(high pointed arch graphics)
150mm shells from Hummels/ Brummbars/ Grilles = 128 shells needed��to drop bridge
75mm shells from PzIVH's = 522 shells to drop bridge
Pioneer demo charges = 66 charges to drop bridge

TEST 2 - MEDIUM BRIDGE��(gentle low arch graphics)
150mm = 5 shells needed
75mm = 22 shells needed
Demos = 3 charges needed

TEST 3 - LIGHT BRIDGE��(Trestle graphics)
150mm = 3 shells needed
75mm = 13 shells needed
Demos = 2 charges needed

Note:- Don't spread the shells/charges along the length of the bridge or it'll take more to drop it, so concentrate on one spot.
Note:-Don't shoot at the road at the ends of the bridge even though the targetting cursor says "bridge" or it'll��take longer to drop; so target the dark grey bridge surface itself. And it doesn't matter whether you target a spot above an arch or not, it's no tougher or weaker there.
Note:- You can monitor the "damage asterisks" at the end of each turn via the "look" cursor to see how you're doing; 1 asterisk means light damage, 2 asts mean medium damage, 3 mean about to drop.
Note:- When throwing demo charges, 30metres is max range, watch for "use explosives" confirmation��message when targetting.
Note:- Flamethrowers have no effect against bridges,not even the light bridge.

PS - Grenade bundles can also blow bridges, a medium will require about 9 bundles to drop it (see test pics elsewhere in this stunning thread), and a light bridge will need much less, but forget about trying to drop a heavy with bundles, you'd need dozens.
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2007, 09:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2007, 04:07 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Bridge work
BELOW - BLOWING BRIDGES TO HALT ENEMY ADVANCE
(But discuss with your opponent before the start whether it's to be allowed)

PIC 1 - Pioneers in cover near the medium bridge see an enemy armoured column approaching down the road,so i order them to target the bridge (note the 'use explosives' tag). Max throwing distance for demos is 30m..
[Image: bridge1.jpg]

PIC 2 - The demos begin flying and explode on the bridge..
[Image: bridge2.jpg]

PIC 3 - Boom, down she goes as the third demo explodes, and you've probably won the game if there are no other bridges or ordinary fords for his tanks to cross the river.. (All units in CM can cross ordinary fords, but only infantry can cross deep fords)
[Image: bridge3.jpg]

PIC 4 - ALTERNATIVELY you can drop the bridge with tank area-fire like this..
[Image: bridge4.jpg]

PIC 5 - and down she goes..
[Image: bridgex.jpg]
04-01-2007, 10:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 09:01 AM by Bootie.)
Ok men..... behold the destructive force of 66 satchel charges... awesome eh?

[Image: hist7.jpg]
04-01-2007, 10:05 AM,
Nah, Evel Knievel could get across, no prob.. ;)
07-29-2007, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2007, 02:51 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
12-13-2007, 07:03 PM,
I am just about to blow up a bridge - the first time is always special! :)

At the start of a battle both sides can see where all the bridges are if they are present on the map. If the defense blows up a bridge does that only become visible to the attacker when they have LOS to the bridge or is their some sort of aerial reconnaissance or uber-spotting going on?
12-13-2007, 07:04 PM,
Bootie Wrote:Ok men..... behold the destructive force of 66 satchel charges... awesome eh?

[Image: rab_historicbridge.jpg]

Historical Photo of the destroyed Reichsautobahn near Kaliningrad (Konigsberg).��

BTW for me those pictures do not show, I guess the links are broken.
12-13-2007, 09:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2007, 01:09 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yah, I asked Bootie where his pics had gone and he replied he'd deleted them from Photobucket.
Perhaps he didn't know that once you upload a pic to PBucket or any other hosting site you have to leave the pics in there forever.
If you delete 'em at the host site,you break the link and they also vanish from every website where you've posted them, so thanks to Bootie for demonstrating it by leaving us with little red stars..;)
Hey Bootie if you've got the original pics on your drive why not re-host them at PB so they'll show up again here?
In fact PB say we should always keep the originals on our drives or on a backup CD in case something glitches at PB and they're lost.

PS - I believe some websites sort of 'lock' any posted pics into their site coding, so that if the pic is deleted from the host the links are not broken.
PS again - I've got about 500 pics in Photobucket spread over about 5 categories but it's still hard to find them if you want to track one down unless you keep a painstakingly-written backup file system or whatever.
And once you host a pic there, it's very difficult to re-name it or move it to another category etc or the link will snap if you don't painstakingly get the procedure exactly right.
For that reason, once I host a pic, I never dare touch it again for fear of accidentally busting a link.
Oh, and I find Photobucket the best host, I've tried others such as Imageshack but they weren't as smooth.
12-14-2007, 12:46 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:(But discuss with your opponent before the start whether it's to be allowed)

I always figured if the scenario designer didn't want the bridge blown he would put a stone one there...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-16-2007, 02:43 AM,
I've just been trying to blow two light bridges in a CMAK scenario and it has already taken 4 demo charges to get to heavily damaged. I guess that it is harder to blow bridges in CMAK?