• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Defending
03-31-2007, 09:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2007, 09:41 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Defending
[Image: defence.jpg]

[Image: CMscho2.jpg]

[Image: CMscho3.jpg]

Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2007, 10:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Defending
BELOW - This is one of the best defences you can have, an infantry line backed up by tanks. This is from an actual game, not staged, and shows the Russian attack easily being beaten off

[Image: CM-defencex.jpg]
03-31-2007, 10:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2007, 01:15 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
ANOTHER TYPICAL DEFENCE

My infantry are at the flag and I've put them on short arcs to stop them firing at long range and giving away their position. They don't want no trouble, they just want to sit out the rest of the game in peace and quiet.
Note my MG's and light mortars are firing (red lines) to keep the enemy infantry at arms length like a boxer continually jabbing.
The blue arcs are bazookas, and I've got 3 tanks at bottom right.
(Er.. I went on to lose this game, he knocked out my tanks with his Stugs and then just blasted my infantry into submission. (You win some you lose some, i'm kool)

[Image: CM-defence3.jpg]
04-06-2007, 01:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2007, 09:57 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
HE CAN'T KILL YOU IF HE CAN'T REACH YOU

This is a simple pic to illustrate one of those commonsense little tactics.
From a ladder game, the enemy KV-1 is area-firing into the wood, so I've crawled my men to the back of the wood where his shells can't reach them. (the guy on left was pinned and delayed). Note the craters from shellbursts in the front of the wood.
It's natural instinct to want to crawl our troops to the front edge of woods but quite often its best to hold them at the back like this.

[Image: CM-woodyou.jpg]
04-06-2007, 03:43 PM,
Point well made POS. If you can't take out an enemy that is firing away at you, you have to put things into reverse. Not always is engaging the enemy a good thing. It is very difficult to disengage once your men are into a firefight so do not be in a hurry to start shooting. We want to fight when it is best for our troops, not the enemies troops. Covered arcs and good positioning will win out.
04-10-2007, 02:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2007, 10:52 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yes, he can't kill you if he can't see you..
[Image: trench.jpg]
04-10-2007, 04:16 AM,
In these examples are you defending in meeting engagements after first having seized the flags or are they defensive positions you've deplyed in for probe/attack/assault battles?
04-10-2007, 05:54 AM,
RE:��Defending
Peek Wrote:In these examples are you defending in meeting engagements after first having seized the flags or are they defensive positions you've deplyed in for probe/attack/assault battles?

The examples above are from ME's but it also applies to all types of game.
I mean, after you capture a flag you deploy into standard defensive posture no matter whether he's attacking you in an ME/ Attack/Assault/ or Probe
In fact I prefer the challenge of deploying under fire in ME's rather than doing it with all the time in the world in Attack/Defends, that's why I don't play many Att/Defs..
04-10-2007, 08:06 AM,
That is why it is so important to maintain good order while moving, as after you reach your objective you often have to setup defensive positions quickly. Counter attack is best done soon after you oust the enemy from his positions. If you are disorganised and unprepared, all your hard work will be wasted as you too will be easily forced out and he will retake the ground.
05-09-2007, 08:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2008, 12:29 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
HOT AND COLD WEATHER INCREASES MG JAMMING RISK

Cmbb Manual page 135-
Hot +200%,
Warm +50%,
Freezing +25%,
Extreme cold +100%"
[Image: girlmg.jpg]