• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Squeezing through
03-30-2007, 11:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2007, 09:32 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Squeezing through
Tanks can negotiate small gaps but not long 'alleys' or bends
Note not even the small PzII could get through the latter two. Instead the tanks will cancel the move order and re-plot their own route to take them the long way round, as they're doing in the "No" pics.

[Image: squeeze.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2007, 02:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-30-2007, 02:15 PM by Mad Russian.)
RE: Squeezing through
Yes, tanks can negotiate some long gaps and bends.

About the only clear cut rule with moving through terrain is that you need to check to see. Take the movement line and have it move over the ground you want to try. If it says open ground and the line doesn't turn to red then you can move through it! Wherever you have two different terrain types that come together they may well give you a clear lane to drive through.

EVEN IF BOTH TERRAIN TYPES ARE PROHIBITIVE!!!!

For instance, you may be able to move along the edges of woods and pine forests. Or woods and rough. You need to check it out to see. Don't just assume that you can't move along these avenues!

You can read more about this in the thread I started on this subject at The Proving Grounds here:

TPG Playtest Tactics Section

Hope this helps.

Good Hunting.

MR
03-30-2007, 07:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-30-2007, 07:49 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yes you can certainly try to squeeze through a longish or crooked gap, but its by no means certain the tank will go through!
So be prepared a lot of the time to see your tank refuse to do it and auto-plot its own course to take it the long way round like they did in the "No" pics above.
Remember, the pics are actual live tests and we can see with our own eyes them refusing to go through the "No's".
Personally when playing CM I never waste time fiddling about trying to thread tanks through longish and crooked gaps because I know it'll often be a waste of time trying, so I only go through the easy short gaps as in the "Yes" pics..
03-31-2007, 03:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2007, 11:03 AM by Mad Russian.)
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Yes you can certainly try to squeeze through a longish or crooked gap, but its by no means certain the tank will go through!
So be prepared a lot of the time to see your tank refuse to do it and auto-plot its own course to take it the long way round like they did in the "No" pics above.
Remember, the pics are actual live tests and we can see with our own eyes them refusing to go through the "No's".
Personally when playing CM I never waste time fiddling about trying to thread tanks through longish and crooked gaps because I know it'll often be a waste of time trying, so I only go through the easy short gaps as in the "Yes" pics..

Each of us plays differently.

And just because I don't have pretty pictures doesn't mean it can't be done.

The biggest tip for driving through gaps is to go to the highest magnification you can and then place the way point in the middle of the open ground. ALWAYS enter gaps at a 90 degree angle to make sure the vehicle goes into the gap. Usually once they are in there the vehicle will move through pretty well on it's own.

Good Hunting.

MR
04-06-2007, 03:01 PM,
In 5 years of playing CM I've never bothered trying to get through long or crooked gaps because I know most of the time it won't work.
But if my opponents want to try it, go ahead, please.. ;)
04-06-2007, 03:47 PM,
Does the size of the vehicle or armour have any bearing on the ease/ability for it to sqeezes through tight places? Or are they all treated the same?
04-06-2007, 09:53 PM,
Surprisingly exactly the same mate, for example in the test shots above not only the Tiger and the others refuse to go through long or crooked gaps, but even the tiny Pz II refuses to go through..
04-07-2007, 01:56 AM,
I thought that would be the case. Thanks for all the hard work that you put into testing things out.
04-07-2007, 03:37 AM,
Plotting the move as Mad Russian suggests usually works for me, i.e. plot through the gap to see if the order remains light blue. Things can go wrong as POS suggests.

One should bear in mind not to plot numerous vehicles through the gap following too close as if one decides to back up and rotate (i.e. due to a sloppy plot or he sees danger) that will play hell with all those following (and would be a Tanker Hunters Dream!)

Haven't seen Poor Old Spike post it yet but you can also fire through woods of a certain volume and depth with armored vehicles which can be a nice surprise.

Poor Old Spike I challenged you to a game of your choice but no answer. Did you not receive an email from herroberst ([email protected])?
04-07-2007, 04:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2007, 04:11 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE:��Squeezing through