• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

You eyeballin' me boy?
03-30-2007, 09:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2007, 10:47 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
You eyeballin' me boy?
This cmbb test shows the distances in metres at which infantry in cover (stationary, not firing) will be spotted by enemy infantry approaching from the right. Both sides are veterans, sunny summer midday, NOT in foxholes.
(Note - distances vary greatly during play according to different weather/ visibility/ season etc)
Examples - a unit in woods won't be spotted until an enemy closes to within about 20 metres.
In wheat he'll be spotted at about 100m.
In open ground he'll be spotted from well over 800m.

[Image: eyeball.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2007, 09:32 AM,
RE: You eyeballin' me boy?
Does it matter if the wheat is before harvest or after harvest or winter? does it become the same as open or brush then?
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
03-30-2007, 09:41 AM,
Good point Randy thanks, I should have said the pic is SUMMER, I've now edited a clarification into it.
In Spring/ Fall/ Winter there are less leaves on trees, thinned-out wheat etc, so units in there will be spotted from much further away, I've yet to run tests in those seasons.
"And summers lease hath all too short a date" - Shakespeare
03-30-2007, 09:44 AM,
Dang... Ive played nearly 700 games and didnt know there was a difference!!!
12-13-2007, 07:09 PM,
You've mentioned before that trenches are spotted at around 200m away. Is that also true for roadblocks and wire?

I assume that defenses like pillboxes will be visible like buildings - as soon as they come into enemy LOS.
12-13-2007, 07:25 PM,
Wire and roadblocks are typically spotted as soon as you can draw LOS...subject to prevailing weather conditions.
12-14-2007, 12:54 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:In open ground he'll be spotted from well over 800m.[/b][/color]

I always thought that units that remained IN THEIR ORIGINAL SETUP SPOTS go unspotted until they move or fired weapons. Is that wrong, then? I know I have set FOs in the open on a hill before with a +2 stealth commander and they weren't spotted the whole game.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-14-2007, 01:15 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:I always thought that units that remained IN THEIR ORIGINAL SETUP SPOTS go unspotted until they move or fired weapons..

All the infantry in the first thread pic never moved or fired.
If they had moved or fired (or began wriggling around under arty or area-fire) they'd have been spotted from miles away..
12-14-2007, 03:05 AM,
Hmmm...interesting...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift