• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Questions Regarding un official downloads
03-28-2007, 05:14 AM,
Questions Regarding un official downloads
Glenn or Anyone,

When one goes to the downloads on your site is there any way of knowing which ones will overwrite previous ones?

is there any sort of order in which one can unzip them to ensure getting the most current version?

Are all of these downloads compatible with each other or are some overwriting the files and BMPS of others and making a mess of things?

I'd like to get the most with the least downloads, is there a General offerings package deal that compiles all the compatible downloads into 1 large zip and allows just a single download and unzip? :)

Thanks

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2007, 05:22 AM,
RE: Questions Regarding��un official downloads
I generally download to a Volcano folder which I have for each individual game. Then transfer all the things that go in the main folder.This way I don't change any bmps or symbols stuff that have been modded.The changes file lists any new or changed bmps.
Hope that's some help.

Kuriltai
03-28-2007, 05:55 AM,
well not really as I've downloaded like everything listed there for each game into a folder and want to unzip it into the game folders but have no way of telling which will bump what out if I add ed's stuff first then I find out member 2 has put in a new BMP and the same goes for the OOB files..

So what I'm trying to figure out is whose stuff works with whoms :)
this way i can play as many offered without screwing up everyones

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
03-28-2007, 06:05 AM,
03-28-2007, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2007, 07:40 AM by Kuriltai.)
I see what you mean.I am suprised nobody else has climbed in here.
However,I think I am still on the right track.Anyone's scenario pack should have new names for any OOB and scn files (map files should always be the same,except in the official update's I think) so no overwriting worries there.The only files I would worry about are bmps, sound,weather and in my case the 2dsymbols.
At any rate,making a new folder(in your case for every different download)gives you the opportunity to look before overwrite.
This is my solution.There are probably better.

Kuriltai

03-28-2007, 08:44 AM,
I see what you're saying K, it's not a bad idea either.

I was in fact looking to create a single zip file that contains everything and enables me to unzip 1 time and have it all so to speak :)

03-28-2007, 09:13 AM,
RE:��Questions Regarding��un official downloads
RedDevil Wrote:I see what you're saying K, it's not a bad idea either.

I was in fact looking to create a single zip file that contains everything and enables me to unzip 1 time and have it all so to speak :)

I guess what your looking for is a bit too idealistic when you think about it.

The only source for the most up to date Game EXE, OOB ect is the HPS website. Any of the ADD-Ons from my site will or should only contain files that do not overwrite offical SCN, OOB and MAP files.

If you install an Art ADD-ON - say one of Volcanos - then you may have new images for many of the offical game art. But there is a chance that some of volcanos art doesn't affect all images and he might create new components in his ver of the game OOB.

Then somebody comes along as does a Scn mode based on Volcanos add-on. While I look to see that other offical HPS files are not overwritten, I can't check to see if the new mod changes anything in Volcanos'. Then Volcano does an Update to his mod - is the other guy watching? Does it have any impact on his? So many questions for which there is no easy answer.

In any case the add on's are for the players pleasure, the order which they apply them if up to you guys. But if your playing the HPS Scns it shouldn't make any difference. If you playing someone elses scns that I suspect they woudl say apply their zip last - as he with the last unzip stands unchanged.

Hope this helps a little anyway.

Glenn
Send this user an email
03-28-2007, 09:35 AM,
Well, if you like my artwork then I would install it last. I had quite a bit of a problem in the past with people basically putting my entire art pack in their mods (usually unintentionally) and, while I don't mind it being distributed, my problem was that I frequently update the images. When someone puts my images into a mod then it runs the chance of older images being overwritten and some changes never being noticed. I used to try to locate and fix the problems but now there are so many mods that I do not have the time to do it anymore.

So, again, I would install my artwork last (if you prefer it). You will also never have to worry about the stock OOBs, scenarios, or PDTs ever being overwritten by Alt versions because I make sure to give them different names.
Send this user an email
03-28-2007, 09:54 AM,
That's good to know Ed thanks

I just went and installed all your artwork into my games as the last thing :)

And yes.. I do prefer it