• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Divisional Level Russian Front Game
03-20-2007, 12:51 AM,
Off Topic  Divisional Level Russian Front Game
Guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for a ~divisional level computer game covering the whole eastern front during campaigns (eg Barbarossa) or for the entire war. I'm not really sure what is out there and what is good so I'm looking for recommendations. I like PzC, of course, and perfer things that at least attempt to be historically faithful.

Cheers,
Fury
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2007, 01:39 AM,
RE: Divisional Level Russian Front Game
TOAWIII has a number of simulations some covering the entire east front campaign. the most popular of which is the enourmous Fire in the East. There also highly detailed, huge simulations of both Barbarossa and Bargration, as well as many many other scenarios.

03-20-2007, 02:15 AM,
There is also Russo German War. I haven't played it and have heard mixed reviews. Otherwise, I can't think of any full blown divisional games in many years.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-20-2007, 03:02 AM,
The old school gary grisby war in russia is still available for free on the matrixgames.com website. Can never go wrong with classics :)
03-20-2007, 07:50 AM,
I have tried them all, TOAW, Russo-German War, War in Russia and War in Europe. They all have so many deficiencies, bugs, realism or play balance issues that if you are like me will dissapoint you. Our only current hope for a decent and playable entire eastern front divisional game is the desendant of TFB. If you have the patience and a willing partner a Aide de Camp game of a board game like Fire in the East is about as good as you will get, but it is very tedious.
03-20-2007, 08:26 AM,
I've played all the games mentioned some more so than others and I have to say of the games mentioned War In Russia bugs age and all is by far the most enjoyable. If you can live with the age it even PBEM's well with a few house rules. Although it does not look no where near as pretty as the others I think it's still the number one of it's kind even in this day and age.
03-20-2007, 10:51 AM,
RE:��Divisional Level Russian Front Game
Krak Wrote:If you have the patience and a willing partner a Aide de Camp game of a board game like Fire in the East is about as good as you will get, but it is very tedious.

Hi Krak,

Thanks for your comment. Let me see if I understand the above correctly. Are you saying that the TOAW scenario Fire in the East is quite tedious? If so, is this due to the game play or the large amount of time it takes the computer to process the moves?

Fury
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM,
typhoon Wrote:I've played all the games mentioned some more so than others and I have to say of the games mentioned War In Russia bugs age and all is by far the most enjoyable. If you can live with the age it even PBEM's well with a few house rules. Although it does not look no where near as pretty as the others I think it's still the number one of it's kind even in this day and age.
This was the game that initially got me on the path to computer wargaming. I remember agonizing (well, debating with myself) over whether it justified buying an AT computer, since I only had an XT.

It was all uphill from there.
03-20-2007, 12:12 PM,
Sorry for the mix up. I am refering to the board game Fire in the East. By GRD. You can play it via Aide de Camp. The HPS program that allows you to play board games via PBEM. Which although is possible is a tedious process for a monster like Fire in the East.

The TOAW version of Fire in the East (or any of its derivatives for that matter) are also based on the old Board game. I find that while TOAW simulates battalion level battles adequately (I think PZC blitzes it tho) it fails at divisional level, for many reasons I won't go into here. But one of which in the FITE scenario is that Infantry divisions can advance almost as far as Panzer Divisions across Russia per turn, the result being that the infantry has no real difficulty in keeping up with the Panzers, not a realistic or feasible result by my reckoning. There are many other flaws but they all can be attributed to the fact the game (the TOAW system) is trying to cover to many scales in one game i.e. company, battalion, regimental, divisional, corps etc.

Sorry to be so negative but I agree with the previous post that the old War in Russia game would give the most satisfying result. But it is very dated.

Please HPS bring on the WWIE version of the Russian Front.....
03-20-2007, 03:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM by Sgt Barker.)
Krak Wrote:Our only current hope for a decent and playable entire eastern front divisional game is the desendant of TFB.

Ummmm... East Front TFB...

<insert Homer Simpson drool here>

I too have been looking for a Drang Nach Osten for my PC for ages, have played a number of those mentioned (but not the Aid de Camp one), and been disappointed. Patience is a virtue however, and I'm rooting for Mr. Tiller et. al.