• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Common Sense...Older guys will remember this
03-02-2007, 08:10 PM,
Common Sense...Older guys will remember this
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.

If you still remember him, pass this on. If not join the majority and do nothing
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2007, 10:05 PM,
RE: Common Sense...Older guys will remember this
Common Sense, i will miss you.
03-03-2007, 03:17 AM,
Excellent post Hedgehog!

Sadly every word is true Cry
03-03-2007, 05:31 AM,
Unfortunately, "Lack of Common Sense" seems to be doing quite well these days. I hear he owns a condo on the beach in Miami, flies back and forth to the Whitehouse for consulting gigs, and has just been added to the thursday night NBC comedy line up.

Cheers!

Leto
03-03-2007, 08:42 AM,
RE:��Common Sense...Older guys will remember this
03-03-2007, 07:27 PM,
hedgehog(FGM) Wrote:Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

MacDonalds' committed suicide by lawyer on this one. The 'victim' crushed a large cup of coffee between her thighs when her car braked suddenly. The company lawyer, instead of simply keeping the fact before the jury that she had done it to herself, went on to say her injuries were greatly exaggerated, possibly even falsified. The scarring was real, extensive and very picturesque. When a lawyer makes one provably false statement to the jury, common sense wonders about everything else he has said.

I have wondered if the legal firm thought this one was such a slam-dunk that they sent the senior partner's idiot son.
03-03-2007, 11:18 PM,
I'm not all that surprised. Been living in this country since 1967 and watched the "Cancer" spread and grow.
Way too much freedom, I think..
We need more republican style of control over this country!
What do you think!? :-)
03-04-2007, 02:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2007, 02:34 AM by mTk(FGM).)
The other part of the McDonald's case was not that the coffee was hot and that plaintiff should have known that, but that the temperature significantly exceeded industry norms (I forget how hot, but it was really hot) so much so as to cause her not insignificant burns.

Plaintiff's eventual award was reduced for her own comparative negligence for stupidly putting the cup of coffee between her legs in the first place (again, I forget by what %). The main argument was that she would not have sustained the injuries she did had McDonald's not been negligent in preparing the coffee in the first place.

Sorta makes a little sense if you squint real hard.
03-04-2007, 04:01 AM,
US Dems are devoid of common sense at least as much as the Republicans - so be careful where you cast all that blame.
03-04-2007, 05:21 AM,
Anyway, "sorry" for turning this into a political thing.
This is not the place for it. Here, nor anywhere else in this club.
If someone qualified wants to delete my posts, please do so. No hard feelings on my part.
In fact, I'll be delighted.. :-)