• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Minsk44 why soft ground en june 44 ?
02-13-2007, 06:05 AM,
Minsk44 why soft ground en june 44 ?
the question is in the topic title ?

on pbem campaigns on original version, we are four players. I command 1 et 2 bierussian front.

continental summer in bielorussian is hot and dry :cool:. since turns 12, we have soft ground , we can't made an offensive in that condition.:mad:

what is historical and climatic condition ???

what is the % of soft ground in paramater data ?

thanks;)
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2007, 06:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2007, 06:40 AM by Tide1.)
RE: Minsk44 why soft ground en june 44 ?
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
02-13-2007, 06:47 AM,
Salut Moise,

Are you playing with the programmed weather on or off? If off, then the chances of any specific ground condition is random out of all the allowed conditions. So it Soft, Mud and Normal are the allowed conditions, then each has a one in three chance of being selected, within the limits of specific internal patterns used by the program. There is no setting outside of the weather.dat file that sets a different percentage chance of selection than a basically random choice.

I am at work and so can't verify for sure, but I believe in Minsk only normal and soft conditions are allowed. In the weather.dat file, the chances of each of them vary throughout the period, with more soft early on and almost all normal toward the end.

I believe soft represents slightly damp conditions from fog, afternoon rains, possibly the last of the runoff and pools of water in low areas from the winter snows, things like that. It isn't as tough going as mud would be, as it represents much less moisture on the ground, but still not quite to the point where the ground is bone dry.

I hope that helps you with the way the conditions are selected, depending on the weather rule being used. I don't know the actual ground conditions, but I do know here in Colorada in the US, our conditions are fairly similar but not as harsh as in Russia/Byelorussia, and the ground can be very damp in June still, even though it might be warm and without rain at that point, due to the snow that is still around/falling in April and even May.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-13-2007, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2007, 07:23 AM by Engelbrekt.)
ghostrider Wrote:what is historical and climatic condition ???

I believe it was a late spring flood that year which still affected ground conditions in June. This held up the Russians for longer than they expected. Small streams turned into fast rivers, overflowed fields, swollen swamps, things like that.

//Engelbrekt
02-13-2007, 07:23 AM,
I have the same problem in my campaign game. Soft conditions the first 2 days followed by 1 day of dry and now back to soft. Sure does make it hard on the russians.
02-13-2007, 07:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2007, 07:39 AM by Volcano Man.)
Send this user an email
02-13-2007, 11:54 AM,
Yes the ground was soft during the actual campaign. And it does balance the scenario a good deal. It sure does make the game very interesting.
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM,
Minsk is an excellent game and it can rain in June.
02-14-2007, 08:42 AM,
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2007, 12:15 PM by Volcano Man.)
Send this user an email