• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Send a Bullet not a Man!
02-09-2007, 08:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2007, 09:06 PM by Zemke.)
Send a Bullet not a Man!
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2007, 12:04 AM,
RE: Send a Bullet not a Man!
Great advice - coordinating units to bring in optimum firepower on your opponent in changing terrain is one of the major skills to learn in this game...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
02-10-2007, 12:19 AM,
02-10-2007, 04:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2007, 05:01 AM by Zemke.)
02-10-2007, 04:54 AM,
RE:��Send a Bullet not a Man!
Der Kuenstler Wrote:coordinating units to bring in optimum firepower on your opponent in changing terrain is one of the major skills to learn in this game...

The key phrase in what DK said is "changing terrain". If you are going to use FOs to call in fires at the decisive place and time they have to be able to see the target area. This usually means some elavated terrain, and usually your opponent is not going to give up elavated terain without a fight, so keep that in mind. The next thing I have run into is LOS to the target. Lets say you do a half-ass map recon, and you pick out a hill for your key 155mm FO to go to. You have a fight, take some loses, but you take the hill, and then you find the hill DOES NOT have LOS to the target area you need because of intervening trees or builds or another hill. Lesson, ALWAYS go down to the lowest level and check all your potential LOS positions before the battle starts, if you are depending on your artillery, the FO cannot see, you have just made things very hard for yourself. Take the time at the start, plan your attack. If you leave it to luck and you do win, you were lucky.
02-10-2007, 05:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2007, 05:18 AM by Zemke.)
Oh and a correction to the post, Andre and I game is only a 70+ turn atk/def, and we are on turn 72.
02-11-2007, 12:15 AM,
So is it better to buy a "company" unit instead of a few platoons of this and a few platoons of that? And I see mentions of platoons of armor. I get to pick them individually in the armor store. Where is the platoon option?
02-11-2007, 01:22 AM,
95Bravo(FGM) Wrote:So is it better to buy a "company" unit instead of a few platoons of this and a few platoons of that? And I see mentions of platoons of armor. I get to pick them individually in the armor store. Where is the platoon option?

Top right of the unit selection screen.

cheers
02-11-2007, 01:44 AM,
RE:��Send a Bullet not a Man!
95Bravo(FGM) Wrote:So is it better to buy a "company" unit instead of a few platoons of this and a few platoons of that? And I see mentions of platoons of armor. I get to pick them individually in the armor store. Where is the platoon option?

I cant remember the exact numbers, but buying a company rather than a platoon saves about 15% in purchase points. Buying a battalion instead of a company saves another 15% in purchase points. So take battalions when possible - unless they have unwanted units that negate the savings
02-11-2007, 01:48 AM,
Thanks for the info. I love this place, ask and yee shall receive.