• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Anybody tried the WL Campaign?
01-29-2007, 02:50 PM,
Smile  Anybody tried the WL Campaign?
[font=Verdana]I took a look at it and it seemed the French might never get across the river! Has anyone out there actually played it a bit? thanks, von Ege[color=navy]
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2007, 03:13 PM,
RE: Anybody tried the WL Campaign?
Red Mike and I are about half way done the 300+ turn campaign.We are playing the one with the strategic options.As Nappy, I decided to attack via Mons and caught my opponent off balance. Interesting so far!
01-30-2007, 04:02 PM,
I like to ask Rich Hamilton if he's ever tried to cross the river against the Prussian opposition that is in place for the Campaign scenario? Is the reinforcement schedule accurate as to time and entry area? I'm not an expert, but I've been told that it's not. Just a look and a little play testing tells me that crossing that river is a major operation, and, didn't the French actually cross there rather easily? von Ege :P
01-30-2007, 05:31 PM,
The deployments in the campaign game are not historicaly accurate for the Prussians, or for the arriving French, as far as I can judge. The system is poorly designed for multi day fights. (Leaving room for caisson supply units in developing oob units.)
...I'm working on a new units file for my Ligny/QB scenario, which while I'm at it will complete my "Where is Grouchy?" June 18 Waterloo/Wavre scenario. Playtesting needed, as I dont know if the ole Grouch can march to the sound of the guns on time. (Might make first playtest interesting.)
...von Ege: Getting close to some good ole Hub to Hub action? (Beautiful Daughters, not Somua tanks.)
02-01-2007, 04:02 AM,
Kuriltai Wrote:Red Mike and I are about half way done the 300+ turn campaign.We are playing the one with the strategic options.As Nappy, I decided to attack via Mons and caught my opponent off balance. Interesting so far!

Could you guys take a screenshot of the jump map. I'd be very intersted? Thanx von Ege :cool2:
02-01-2007, 08:13 AM,
I just completed a game of it, or actually my opponent surrendered after about 60 turns. I was the French and I crossed the river in good time and made a lot of good progress against his forces. So, yes, its definitely possible to do it, even with an opponent who attempts to hold the crossings. The Prussians didn't historically - but there's no way to control what a player will do.

Not going to comment on the historical placements as that's a never ending argument and varies widely based on the sources the people are using.

Personally I enjoy the monster scenario(s) and I have another one that is just coming upon the end of the first day. I'm the French there as well and have crossed the river in similar fashion...will be a very interesting second day assuming Brikie caries to go that long. :cool:
02-01-2007, 02:00 PM,
All right Rich, I'm glad you are playing it. Too many times, the designers seem to skip town. So you crossed the river easily. Good to know. Wonder what might happen if the Pruss decides to make a stand there for awhile? Care to speculate, on both a tactical and strategic level? von ege :rolleyes:
02-02-2007, 12:07 AM,
I usually make it a point of not talking about my games in public as I don't want to come across as bragging or anything, I play for the fun of it, and yes the challenge, but I'm ok whether I win or loose - and I have lost many times! But since you are looking for specifics I'll share a bit here.

My opponent did choose to try and hold the line about both Charleroi & Chatelet. He made a very good defense of both, but its hard to stand up to artillery for long periods...that and the Prussians don't start with huge amounts of troops in the area...and finally, because French reinforcements eventually arrive on the other side of the river, so in short order the player must deal with that as well.

But not only at the bridges, but really the whole way he chose to delay and fight at almost every turn. And while that's admirable, in this situation its not the best choice. The Allies should only put up a token resistance and with the bulk of their force back-pedal to where they can consolidate and put up a much better resistance. They have the advantage in numbers, they just need to concentrate them. As it stood I was thrashing his forces badly, because at every point I outnumbered him greatly. It was dawn of the second day when he conceeded (we had rested the night), but a new fight was brewing and after the thrashing the Prussians had I was going to be able to bring numerical superiority against them and destroy them at Ligny, like Nappy had intended on doing. If I had not inflicted the losses I had on the previous day I wouldn't have been so confident.

The Allied player must use the large map to their advantage - link their armies and present a unified front. If they try and hold Nappy at every turn and fight piecemeal they stand no chance of victory in this campaign, IMHO.

Below are some screen shots of first my jump map on the morning of the 16th, then his, then the victory dialogbox.

[Image: wat1.jpg]

[Image: wat2.jpg]

[Image: wat3.jpg]
02-02-2007, 06:17 AM,
Thanks for the detailed information Rich. The reason I bought the game was to play the campaign. Would you care to give me a go at it, either side? von Ege :whis:
02-02-2007, 06:26 AM,
Give me a little while...I'm just digging out from being very far behind...so touch base with me in about 2 weeks and I should be able to commit to something. Right now have to do some more clearing.