• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WIndows Vista
01-23-2007, 02:27 AM,
WIndows Vista

Going to be Building another computer in a few months and want to know if these games will run on Vista or not reason asking is that some games quit working when they made the jump from Win 98 to XP or you had problems running them
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2007, 04:29 AM,
RE: WIndows Vista
I think there might be a couple issues running under Vista. I installed S42 and saw a couple seemingly non-terminal messages during install. When the game comes up, it appears that the auto scroll has some issues (not redrawing). I think this may be an interaction with DirectX 10, which comes with Vista, rather that Vista proper, although I have not tried installing an older version of DirectX. You could always dual-boot :-)

Fury
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
Landser34 Wrote:Going to be Building another computer in a few months and want to know if these games will run on Vista or not reason asking is that some games quit working when they made the jump from Win 98 to XP or you had problems running them

Well Smolensk originally was published under Windows 95 and I think there was a DirectX non-compatibility back issue which had eventually saw HPS suspending newer updates for Win95. But if you have a Win95 PC I think you can still get the last available patch.

I am also aware of NON HPS games developed for Win98 not functioning in XP. But here again I believe the issue here may have been the copy protection scheme that was being used by the installation. That shouldn't create any problem here.

Fury mentions:

"I installed S42 and saw a couple seemingly non-terminal messages during install. When the game comes up, it appears that the auto scroll has some issues (not redrawing)"

I am not at all concerned about errors that occur during the install as I've seen these already in older HPS games and they are related to the INSTALL SHIELD which installs the software - or - the Decoder software that plays the into movie and credits. They have no effect on game play at all.

On this redraw issue Fury mentions, it is difficult to say. HPS is a small shop as you know and I don't think they are a Microsoft Solution Provider. What does that mean? Well, it means that it is likely nobody on the HPS staff has had an opportunity to run or test the games in Vista. So it is impossible (or fool hearty) to state there are not or won't be any problems along the way - but who knows!

However, I for one plan to buy a Laptop, likely as soon as Dell starts shipping PCs with Vista loaded - I just don't trust the upgrade process myself. And there is no doubt in my military mind that said PC will run HPS Games - if not right away, then in short order.

Anyway - more information when we are better able to offer informed comments.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-23-2007, 02:40 PM,
Thanks Fury and Glenn for the Info
01-23-2007, 07:56 PM,
From what I've seen on Microsoft's site (& from hearing others talk about this too), if you're planning on playing games then Vista Home Premium is the version to go with. I'm also planning to buy a new pc in the very near future & want it preloaded (don't want to mess around with upgrades: had enough trouble with XP SP2 Hang).
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
01-25-2007, 08:01 AM,
RE:��WIndows Vista
Gasbag Wrote:From what I've seen on Microsoft's site (& from hearing others talk about this too), if you're planning on playing games then Vista Home Premium is the version to go with. I'm also planning to buy a new pc in the very near future & want it preloaded (don't want to mess around with upgrades: had enough trouble with XP SP2 Hang).

I think you are smart for making that decision. Everything I have read to date, the conventional wisdom is DO NOT screw with an upgrade and get it pre-loaded. Too many issues with the software and eventhough you bought Home Premium, it could easily kick you down to Basic if it feels your hardware is not up to snuff. Good luck fixing that mess.