• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Defending the Blitz Ladder System
01-09-2007, 03:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2007, 04:12 AM by Zemke.)
Defending the Blitz Ladder System
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2007, 05:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2007, 05:32 AM by Colonel Talvela.)
RE: Defending the Blitz Ladder System
01-09-2007, 05:57 AM,
I prefer the Blitz scoring sytem, which caters for both worlds. It may not be perfect, but it's good enough for me, and actually I think it's pretty good fullstop.

When entering games into the database, part of the size modifier reflects the length of the game, so this is taken into account. I take it though that you are referring to quick battles? That is a valid point....but given the number of QB points options if you then mutiply all those by a number of length options then thats a lot of options.

Maybe an option on the report game screen to enter the number of turns, with a consequent adjustment to the score? That would keep the number of QB options under control.
01-09-2007, 06:01 AM,
What is the ELO rating, surely it's not how good you think the 'Electric Light Orchestra' is.Big Grin

cheers
01-09-2007, 07:26 AM,
RE:��Defending the Blitz Ladder System
Fubar Wrote:What is the ELO rating, surely it's not how good you think the 'Electric Light Orchestra' is.Big Grin

cheers

there have been many detailed posts about ELO - you could search on those if you want more details. In summary it is a strength of opponent ranking. Each player starts at 2000. If you win/lose a game your ELO go up/down based on some calculation that includes the other players ELO.

Some people are quite critical of it, and I agree it is in no way perfect. But it at least attempts a strength of opponent scoring, which was lacking before.
01-09-2007, 07:34 AM,
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
01-09-2007, 07:35 AM,
I think the ELO question is rapidly becoming the CM equivalent of the perennial CS halftrack debate!

Arpad Elo developed a system (for chess) where everyone starts from a given rating (in our case 2000) and gets more or less points from a game depending on the difference between their ELO score and their opponents. The ELO rating will go up or down as you win or lose, with the degree of change dependent on the strength of your opponent.

Example: I'm on 1900, you're on 2200. You should win, so if you do you get a few points added to your ELO score. But if we draw or (heaven forbid) I win, then I get a heap of points added.

The more you win, the higher your score, and the less points lower ranked players lose to you.

Flaws: CM has a lot more variables than chess, particularly in scenario balance. Players who concentrate on scenarios or who play interesting but unbalanced Qb paramaters can find themselves unjustly hit. Works best with balanced QBs, but I suppose everything should balance out over time. A second flaw is that new players, on 2,000, are attractive targets for strong players looking to increase their ELO. It takes time for a new but weak player to settle on their proper lower score. I suspect this newbie hunting would only work to a certain point tho, once you're high enough I bet there's not much diff between the results from a victory against a 1900 ELO vs a 2000 ELO.

It gives a general idea of strength and does help encourage stronger players to play other reasonably strong players. It promotes a system where a new player can rank their progress and see some chance of a good position. The normal Blitz ladder has a massive score mountain to climb, especially for a new player who has limited time for games in an evening.
01-09-2007, 07:40 AM,
And that's the thing about writing a semi-lengthy post...by the time you hit the post reply button, someones beaten you to it.....
01-09-2007, 07:53 AM,
McIvan Wrote:The normal Blitz ladder has a massive score mountain to climb, especially for a new player who has limited time for games in an evening.

Yeah but we've all had to climb it.

:whis:

Bootie
01-09-2007, 08:21 AM,
RE:��Defending the Blitz Ladder System