• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Infantry Close Assault
01-04-2007, 06:42 AM,
Infantry Close Assault
One of my favorite things to do in Combat Mission is close assault. This is the moment when you actually send in your boys to kill those die hards who won't break from direct fire or you just plan don't want them getting away. You have to get close, 25 meters or less to finish them. The perfect time to order an Infantry assault is when you have the defenders pinned or suppressed, ideally from more than one direction, which I call forming the V. I like to have at least 2-1 odds going in on the final assault but that can vary depending on the situation. 1 to 1 will work if your supporting fires or suppressing fires in fact have the enemy suppressed. Your assault element are your killers. They will be the ones who literally wade into the enemy and kill him with rifle butt, SMG fire, hand grenade, knife and my favorite the entrenching toolEek!! (For all you people into gore the game does not show the actual close combat.)

Let's say you are trying to take a stand of trees that has an OBJ Flag. You think there is an enemy platoon (+), from all indications. For you to get close they need to all be suppressed, so you need to pour on the fire on all his positions from two directions. Which means you are going to need at least a company of infantry to do this. Hmmm thats 3-1 odds right there. Frankly only an Infantry Company may be cutting it thin. What is even better is some artillery and mortars and heavy direct fire. This will save a lot of lives. As you start to see your suppressing fires having the desired effect you need to move in your assaulting elements, which at a minimum is a platoon, but I like to use two when I can. I send in the assault element through a smoke screen if possible. I chose an to enter the tree stand at an area I know is suppressed for sure. You have to gain a foothold in the trees. I start by using the move or run order, then at about 20-30 meters from the trees switch to advance. Once in the trees you should have two elements, a suppression element and a assault element. Rest a turn or two before moving in for the kill if possible. But many times the assault will start as soon as you enter the trees, because the of some enemy you did see or was not suppressed adequately. Once you have a foothold, "Close Suppression Element" provides suppression while you send in the "Close Assault" Element, the real killers. If done right this part usually happens real fast. In most cases the enemy will be destroyed in one turn.

The down side to all this is, good defenders seldom have lone platoon positions that can be isolated, so what you have are mutually supporting positions, and all supporting positions that can provide direct fire support for the platoon you want to assault have to be either suppressed, or obscured.

I hope this helps.
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2007, 06:52 AM,
RE: Infantry Close Assault
Excellent post... thanks.

Bootie
01-04-2007, 07:01 AM,
Yes, close assault it a good tactic. Overwatching fire is a must. Following the panicked or routed enemy will ensure heavy casualties on his part. If possible I like to have two waves, the initial wave of SMGs followed by another wave so as not to run low on ammo. To counter his supporting/interlocking fires use smoke to create a temporarily isolated area to smash.
01-04-2007, 08:48 AM,
I prefer to use mortars to suppress the enemy troops that could be protecting the units that are going to be assaulted.

Area firing MGs into suspected enemy positions will also suppress those units.(area fire covers a good 20 meter section on all sides of the targeted spot)

I have also seen units panic when shelled by armor, closely BEHIND their positions, while being area fired upon by other units. They begin to turn around and become disorientated.

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
01-04-2007, 08:48 AM,
I actually prefer to attack tanks at close range with infantry when possible as my track record of success with AFV's isn't the greatest in the world. Nothing is as pleasing as watching that tank thats had your own armour pinned down behind the hill destroyed by an infantry attack from multiple directions at once. :smg:

In one game i spent about 15 turns flanking a Stug and close assaulting it under a smoke screen with a standard Russian SMG platoon and blew him sky high with a few well placed hand grenades. :whis:

cheers
01-04-2007, 08:53 AM,
Fubar Wrote:In one game i spent about 15 turns flanking a Stug and close assaulting it under a smoke screen with a standard Russian SMG platoon and blew him sky high with a few well placed hand grenades. :whis:

cheers

Show off.... LOL
01-04-2007, 11:00 PM,
I read alot of posts on here about players writing off 81mm offboard arty as ineffective.

The situation you describe is where it comes into its own. A good long 81mm barrage preferebly from a high barrel source COMBINED with direct small arms fire will break the stoutest of defenders. If you want to make realy sure use 2 81mm spoters on the same target for gaurenteed panicing breaking and routing.

This often part of my QB kit so I know I can break the enemy as long as I can bring my art and direct fire into position.
01-04-2007, 11:11 PM,
RE:��Infantry Close Assault
Fubar Wrote:I actually prefer to attack tanks at close range with infantry when possible as my track record of success with AFV's isn't the greatest in the world. Nothing is as pleasing as watching that tank thats had your own armour pinned down behind the hill destroyed by an infantry attack from multiple directions at once. :smg:

In one game i spent about 15 turns flanking a Stug and close assaulting it under a smoke screen with a standard Russian SMG platoon and blew him sky high with a few well placed hand grenades. :whis:

cheers

Guys he isn't kidding, i've had his infantry chase my tanks for over 200yds. The funniest thing i've ever seen, my panther in reverse being chased i kid you guys not. By almost a complete company of men.

Walkure
01-04-2007, 11:28 PM,
LMAO..... they must have had a decent shot of vodka before agreeing to that order!!

Bootie
01-05-2007, 01:16 AM,
Long live Vodka... cheers

:whis: