• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

I pushed the button
12-17-2006, 10:28 AM,
I pushed the button
Last night I took the big step forward and bought WITP:)
It will take little bit to get used to the game but when I do I'll be posting here for some opponents:)

Has anybody played or is playing the big scenario? 1940 to 43 I believe it is.
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2006, 03:30 PM,
RE: I pushed the button
Congratulations. I'm guessing that most WITP players have tried scenario 15 that starts on Dec. 7, 1941 and goes through the end of the war. I'd also guess that the long scenario is the most often played scenario. Many have gotten into late 1942, and a few beyond that, before it is obvious who the winner will be. It is a HUGE commitment of time and effort.

Before you get used to the standard maps and set-ups, you need to realize that most players you are likely to play have advanced beyond the original package. In my experience nearly everyone uses "Andrew Brown's" map and the scenarios that have been modified to use that map. There are a wide variety of mods, and if you want to make the commitment to play the long scenario, I suggest you check out this website first:

http://www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp/scenarios.html

Keep in mind that WITP is a much better game PBEM than against the AI. Nevertheless, I believe you need to play the AI until you can readily defeat it before you try playing the long scenario against an experienced human opponent.

Best wishes, Norm
12-19-2006, 03:34 AM,
RE:��I pushed the button
General Beanie Wrote:Before you get used to the standard maps and set-ups, you need to realize that most players you are likely to play have advanced beyond the original package. In my experience nearly everyone uses "Andrew Brown's" map and the scenarios that have been modified to use that map. There are a wide variety of mods, and if you want to make the commitment to play the long scenario, I suggest you check out this website first:

http://www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp/scenarios.html

Best wishes, Norm

Hi Norm and others,

I see your post about up grading the map to play scenarios with other ladder members. I am looking into getting the game (the sale is pushing me to do it sooner) so you are saying that I will have to upgrade?

Stu
12-19-2006, 07:36 AM,
You do not have to upgrade the map to play anyone, as long as you both agree to play with the stock map and scenarios. Andrew Brown's map is a mod for WitP that extends the map a bit and redraws it to better reflect the distances between some common destinations.

There are also user-created scenarios written around the map that take into consideration a couple new bases that are present on the map. There are also several widely-played mods that make extensive changes to the mechanics of the game and/or the OOB of the various sides including:

NikMod - As I understand it, the NikMod changes the game's air model mechanics quite a bit to help make A2A combat less bloody and at the same time making flak much more effective at low altitudes to help force players into more realistic 4-engine bomber tactics (i.e. bombing from high altitudes). Combined with this are some tweaks to aircraft production and a host of other small changes. There are versions of the Nikmod for the stock map and for the AB map.

CHS (Combined Historical Scenario) - this is a huge effort that uses the AB map and a drastically revamped OOB to more accurately represent the various forces engaged in the war. There are also tweaks to the game mechanics in the A2A model and other things in CHS as well.

There are other mods out there, some historical and some "what if" types. From looking at the Matrix forum, it does seem like the majority play using some sort of mod, but there are still people playing stock scenario/map games as well.

12-20-2006, 02:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2006, 02:05 AM by General Beanie.)
12-20-2006, 02:54 AM,
12-20-2006, 09:32 AM,
Lats night was the first time I had any problems. It said WITP run into problems and put me back out to the start up menu:(
12-21-2006, 04:19 AM,
Having played several thousand turns of PBEM WITP in the last two years, I can't recall the game having any crash problems. There used to be an occasional bug that caused a blue screen and occasional crashes, but those were squashed long ago (I helped them find one of them). There's one crash bug that I don't know if they ever solved that involves using the "back" button on a couple of documentation (ships or planes as I recall) screens, but veteran players quickly learned to never use the button (and I still don't to this day).

I'm wondering if you're doing something unusual, or if the latest release is doing something odd. It would probably be useful to periodically check in at the support section of the matrixgames WITP website:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=128
just to see if there are new issues, but I just looked and didn't see any.
12-21-2006, 05:01 AM,
12-21-2006, 06:41 AM,
The lack of memory thing was mostly a guess. I have seen some people complain of slow turn processing on the Matrix forums, which is often memory usage issues. But it is mostly speculative. Having another program running in the background could make that worse.