• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Which Bulge?
12-08-2006, 09:32 AM,
Which Bulge?
I am about to start up a new Bulge campaign with my regular PBEM partner and was looking over on Glenn's website at the different variants now available. There are :
1) Stock scenario
2) Wacht am Rhein by Brian Jennings, and
3) Dark Winter by John Egan

Does anyone have any experience and or advice on which of these 3 would be the best pick (n.b. we want to use explicit supply in the game). Appreciate the advice.
Regards
Andrew
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2006, 09:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2006, 09:37 AM by JonS1.)
RE: Which Bulge?
AIUI, there is a new version of Jennings' scen, so be sure you get the latest one if you go down that route. I've played around with it a bit, incl PBEM, and it's good. Be aware, though, that he has hacked the system to get the kinds of effects he wanted, which is a great BUT can take a bit of getting used to (learning/unlearning, etc)
12-08-2006, 03:01 PM,
The Jennings version looks pretty cool -- I never realized that the stock scenario did not use the whole map before! But the alternate fire rules are something I can't stand and would have to alter the scenario somehow to avoid them (ie spotters get 100 defense and/are HQ units so they will reform if destroyed.). I'd suggest a house rule of 101 and 82nd and 17th go on foot after Dec 18 (or whatever is historical) and stay that way.

Have fun!

Fury
12-08-2006, 03:03 PM,
BTW, anyone have contact info for Jennings? It did not seem to be in his scenario package.

Fury
12-08-2006, 06:08 PM,
If you mean by stock version for the latest ALT version by Volcano Man and I think all 3 are worth a try.

I am currently playing Volcano Man's version a try but am planning on trying the other 2 as well.

Huib
12-08-2006, 06:43 PM,
Actually I had forgotten about Volcano Man's version. Maybe thats the one to go for. Is it well balanced?
Rgds
Andrew
12-08-2006, 10:17 PM,
RE:��Which Bulge?
Andrew Wrote:Actually I had forgotten about Volcano Man's version. Maybe thats the one to go for. Is it well balanced?
Rgds
Andrew

I'm still at the opening stages of the campaign but I think it is and it has a realistic feel. It is advised though to read all the notes VM attached and adopt proper tactics with the new attack/defense & assault ratings.
12-09-2006, 02:17 AM,
I've been away from PzC for a little while but I noticed I had a Kursk Alt scenario that had changes to several unit types that would allow them to have direct fire with a 2 hex range (i.e., Tigers, 88's, TD's, etc.) plus some major alterations to the attack/defense strengths of some units like armor.

I think this is part of Volcano man's pictures downloads off Glenn's site.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The question is: Is VM's alt Bulge scenario's that come with his artwork downloads altered in the same way?

(so Tigers, 88's, etc have more attack strength and direct fire ranges? ... there's other stuff changed but this one issue will identify if the sce is the one I'm describing)

thanks
12-09-2006, 06:57 PM,
12-10-2006, 01:37 PM,
I loaded VM's Bulge package and it has those alternate values.
I like it a lot. I saw here where people referred to the McNamara scenario's but I didn't know what they were talking about.

I think its an improvement and makes more interesting play with the high velocity AT weapons that were used later in the war.

thanks