• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Truck and halftrack carried infantry
12-05-2006, 11:10 AM,
Truck and halftrack carried infantry
I believe the difference between motorized infantry (riding in trucks) and mechanized (riding in halftracks) is not sufficiently portrayed in this game system.

Motorized infantry dismounted their trucks, and the trucks stayed behind, out of harms way, as much as possible. This would particularly apply to US infantry, whose trucks were not organicly their own. I'd guess those trucks in Geman motorized infantry units also disgorged their troops and tried to stay out of harm's way.

Not only can trucks not go everywhere that halftracks can, but halftracks are somewhat armored and have at least a mg. Thus half tracks might tend to be closer to their dismounted infantry, and actualy provide useful fire support.

Yet in Deployed status, motorized and mechanized infantry can mount up with equal speed.

Gentlemens' Rule: Motorized infantry must go on foot to fight. Though I dislike Gentlemens' rules, where would I get proposing a game system change?
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2006, 11:36 AM,
RE: Truck and halftrack carried infantry
Send this user an email
12-05-2006, 12:47 PM,
I think motorized units should not so easily be able to mount up again. As trucks did not organicly belong to the unit, those units were trucked somewhere and from then on were on foot for the next days, while the trucks went away as they belonged to the division's or corps' motor pool.

However in the game one needs to dismount often to avoid heavy losses while in T-mode due to the turn based nature of the game.
A possible improvement IMO would be that motorized infantry would get "on foot" status when it is dismounted more than 1 turn in a row. Thus representing that motorized units did not have their "own" transport vehicles with them all the time.
I don't know whether it is technically possible to implement such a feature though.

Huib
12-05-2006, 02:51 PM,
Deployed and on foot
Motorized and mechanized units can equally effectively be Deployed, getting full combat capabilities, without being on foot. Deployed, they can remount, just as fast. I should say, that this may be more of a concern for US Infantry units, classed as motorized, than motorized Panzergrenadiers. Just thought I'd stir the pot, and appreciate everyones' comments.
12-06-2006, 06:34 AM,
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2006, 09:28 AM by JonS1.)
RE:��Truck and halftrack carried infantry
The idea that halftracks charged into battle alongside the infantry is a little off. By and large armoured halftracks were used as mobility means, not assaulters. The tracks would get the grunts to the FUP, and from there they'd be on foot. To take an extreme example - Pz Lehr sent most of it's carriers 100s of kms away from the front once the division had arrived at the front in Normandy.

By the same token, truck mounted troops didn't always hop off their trucks in out of the way spots. It isn't hard to find examples of NZ infantry in NA approaching enemy positions mounted in trucks, and only disembarking within ~500m when the incoming small-arms fire strated to get too effective. Similar examples for German truck mounted infantry are equally easy to find.

Trucks should always have lower movement rates than halftracks, except when moving along roads, IMO. The amount it is lower will depend on the specific terrain.

Huib Wrote:I think motorized units should not so easily be able to mount up again. As trucks did not organicly belong to the unit
This is not a universal truism.

12-06-2006, 10:15 AM,
RE: ��Truck and halftrack carried infantry
JonS1 Wrote:
Huib Wrote:I think motorized units should not so easily be able to mount up again. As trucks did not organicly belong to the unit
This is not a universal truism.

It is for US Army motorized units. One of the reasons why the Airborne Divisions being motorized in B44 look so odd.
12-06-2006, 01:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2006, 01:32 PM by JonS1.)
RE:����Truck and halftrack carried infantry
Huib Wrote:It is for US Army motorized units.
Ya, but PzC is a tad broader than the US Army ;)

Quote:One of the reasons why the Airborne Divisions being motorized in B44 look so odd.
I've suggested a fix for that here (scroll down, it's explained a bit more on subsequent pages, incl a specific shout out to the 82nd and 101st in B44 ;) )
12-06-2006, 02:08 PM,
Been thinking a bit about the bulge scenario lately, after someone asked if it was any good I think. Anyway, I think the B44 delimma can be solved pretty well with a house rule where all infantry in the 82nd and 101st (and 17th?) divisions must go "on foot" for the the remainder of the game beginning Dec 18 10pm (or whatever is historically accurate). Think that would work?

For Cobra, an OOB change to motorize the 1st would do the trick...

Fury
12-06-2006, 02:49 PM,
Truck pools
An interestering idea, refererred to in a previous thread, which would also apply to the Germans in the Ardenees (Think Panzergrenadiers "borrowing" transport from VolksArtillerie , as actually happned.)
An issue with trucks as seperate units was mentioned by Glenn (use as blocking units). The other game system I'd guess, was EF/WF. Those trucks could not be captured. Unless trucks can be captured, maybe half value to capturing side like supply, its probably best not to have them.
Not that I expect truck pools (a TAOW sorta idea) to appear in PzC.