• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Role of the Tank
12-02-2006, 08:20 AM,
The Role of the Tank
Hey All--

As per Bootie's good example of igniting discussion on the forums, I have a question for y'all:

Throughout modern times, many military strategists have debated exactly what the role of the tank is. It began as a pure terror weapon, designed to achieve a breakthrough. Later, it evolved into infantry support and anti-tank roles. So here's my question (for real):

In your opinion, what is the main role of the tank on the CM battlefield?

I want to limit this to CM, so we can avoid a conversation about grand strategy. Those discussions are fun, but not necessarily useful when playing CM.

I look forward to seeing what we all come up with!
John Rogers
BeatGuy83
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2006, 08:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2006, 08:40 AM by Larry Thorne (FGM).)
RE: The Role of the Tank
Luckily in CM we get to use specific models designed for specific tasks. we have infantry support Tand Destroyers, Modile artillery, fast tanks medium tanks heavy tanks etc. units. The key is to choose the correct unit to do the job it does the best. Then again the interesting part is to fight with a unit almost uncapable to do the task its needed for...then the skills of the user might turn the tide in the battlefield.

Cheers
LT

EDOT:As for main role goes...I suppose cause as much damage as possible and trying to stay alive through the fight.
"Kornie"
12-02-2006, 09:55 AM,
I see the tank as providing infantry support... this includes destroying the enemies armour to protect my number one priority... the men on the ground.

I very rarely send my tanks out into duels with the enemy armour (depending on the enemy quality)... if I can support the infantry without exposing my tanks I do... however it gets interesting when both players play this strategy and it becomes a game of cat and mouse with the winner usually being the player who reads the terrain better.

Bootie
12-02-2006, 11:04 AM,
Infantry support is the tanks role. Blast inf guns, HMGs and other anti-infantry weapons. This led to AT weapons and tactics. I'll use all AT assets I have to win, but not tank vs tank. I'll call on guns, ATRs, inf AT weapons, TDs, but I won't roll my armor foward on even odds with the enemy. I'll maneuver for flanking kill shots, but even up head to head is too risky. I'll even wait and just let him come me and hope a static first shot may kill, stun or delay return fire will I pound him.

OK Kelvin, I'm finally posting (useless I know) Happy now
12-02-2006, 01:49 PM,
BeatGuy83 Wrote:It began as a pure terror weapon, designed to achieve a breakthrough.

My recollection (from reading, not from being there :) ) is that tanks' original purpose was to cross trenches and no-man's-land without being cut down by the all-powerful MG nests and/or artillery.

The fact that this attribute -- and it's imperviousness to small arms and grenades -- terrorized infantry is entirely secondary. Not to be dismissed, of course, and to be exploited as much as possible. But not the actual originally-intended purpose of the tank.
12-02-2006, 02:17 PM,
If we are talking about tanks only, and not TD's or SP guns, I use them for denying my opponent specific parts of the battlefield early on through fields of fire. Towards the latter stages of a battle, I use tanks to support the infantry's attack and to eliminate any strong points that may remain. Of course my opponent may force me to adapt, but that is typically my thought process when selecting forces and planning my strategy.
12-02-2006, 07:47 PM,
IMO the tank is the big stick in CM. Becuse they are mobile. If you lose all your tanks then the enemy has got you. Inf with AT support can not stand up too an Inf/Tank team.
12-02-2006, 11:35 PM,
Hi,

whatever the type of tank and whatever the task you order it to do, it is one of the hardiest unit to keep alive during a battle with AFV and light vehicules.

thereby, i think the tank is a paradox in CM. So powerfull and so weak at the same time.

cheers.
Hubert
Idiots dare everything. That is the way to recognize them (Michel Audiard)
12-03-2006, 08:36 AM,
The basic role of a WWII tank was that of Infantry support in both attack and defense. Secondary role was to engage and destroy enemy tanks if and when encountered.
The germans were the first to use them also in a unique role. That of massing them on a narrow front, for breakthroughs, exploitation and encirclements, etc..
12-04-2006, 01:06 AM,
RE:��The Role of the Tank
Soldier Wrote:The basic role of a WWII tank was that of Infantry support in both attack and defense. Secondary role was to engage and destroy enemy tanks if and when encountered.
The germans were the first to use them also in a unique role. That of massing them on a narrow front, for breakthroughs, exploitation and encirclements, etc..

They weren't the first to use them in that way. The British learned to do that in WWI and did exactly that against the Italians in North Africa in WWII. The Germans just took it to another level.