• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AWA opponents
10-17-2006, 08:06 AM,
AWA opponents
In my almost 4 years here I have never sufferred from what we in the Brit Mil term AWA[Absence without authority] opponents.

Maybe its just my bad luck, but I seem to have almost one third of my Opps who seem to have gone away. It is driving me to only play old time advesaries and forget about any new players.

Maybe I'm suffering from the new generation who buy a game and immediately want to play online, then discover they dont like it?

Anyways, even though I hate it, I will report a TV if you dissapear after 3 weeks. I really dont want to waste my limited time anymore.

As a side note to this post, I do feel like, in the last 6 months to a year, the new blood is either gamey or disinterested. Has CM reached its apogee? Is it now on the downward trajectory?
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2006, 08:45 AM,
RE: AWA opponents
I'll always have a good game ready to go with any number of trusted opponents. Stop being the harbinger of doom man... LOL
10-17-2006, 08:50 AM,
Sorry to see that you are getting people bail on you. I think thats bad manners at least . Its a shame if old timers (by which I meen experienced Players) like yourself are putting off playing newcomers as this is, i think its a good way for us to improve. I recently lost a game to walkure in which I learnt a few things. So if your up for a game from a relative newcomer let me know - cheers Taffy
10-17-2006, 05:45 PM,
Cheers taffy. I will look you up when I have weeded out the dross.

Mr Bootie, not being a doom harbinger at all. Simply looking at my game stats. I think about 1/3 of my so-called victories this year have been defaults. Some I havent even posted as I didnt even get the guys Blitz name before he went AWA. Claiming the game doesnt even work as I have had absolutely no come back or complaints from any guy I have done this to. And you said it 'Trusted Opponents'.
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM,
We dont have a game going Geordie... if you would like one send a set up over. I have no real preferences and Im a reliable opponent.

Bootie
10-17-2006, 10:33 PM,
Geordie - it is an annoying pattern - I usually get three or four turns back within 2 days in the initial excitement of it and then things settle in to about a turn a week or none at all. At least half of my games should be over by now - if only a turn a day were sent, which would take 2-10 minutes at most. Adults watch an average of three hours of TV a day. What - they can't do a five minute turn during a commercial?

On the total victories - I think it's very hard to get a total victory when the other player finishes the whole game - especially in a quick battle - if his units show up at all. I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of the total victories reported here are from defaults.

Since I was able to rant I want to say I do appreciate the guys who like to stay in the flow of the game and send regular turns. I've played with a lot of good ones - and have some nice games going now that I enjoy.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-18-2006, 07:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2006, 07:06 AM by Minuteman.)
Besides a rant I posted about a month ago on a TCP/IP bolt, I haven't had any problem w/ PBEM opponents at all, really.

I wonder if it is just Geordie...

Damn, though, I'd like to play an operation...
Minuteman
10-18-2006, 10:47 AM,
I see as usual we can trust the Booted one to make a really irritating and annoying comment when someone else is trying to make an important point......;)

Yep...these turkeys who start a game and then wimp out when the going starts to look a little rough not only waste their own time but their opponents as well. Personally I think there should be a list of people who have defaulted on games.

- falco.
10-20-2006, 03:34 PM,
Perhaps the ladder could keep track of not only wins/losses/draws but games the player has quit on as well. I am currently trying to resolve an issue about someone dropping on me (after only four turns over nearly four weeks, no less!) and then reporting a victory for him! Not very sporting, IMO.
10-20-2006, 07:58 PM,
RE:��AWA opponents