• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Who can see themselves playing CM for another 10 years?
10-15-2006, 04:14 AM,
Who can see themselves playing CM for another 10 years?
I'm just wondering if the majority of blitzers are playing more or less, and if CM is becoming tired for anyone.

Do you think that you will still be playing CM in 10 years?

Are there any other games or priorities that may mitigate your enthusiasm, or perhaps any new games that are yet to come out but in trial that you think may draw your attention away from CM (not replace it though... doubt that can happen unless you make a complete revamp of the old CM with new graphics and better options, which I cannot see BF doing... just not business smart)

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2006, 04:25 AM,
RE: Who can see themselves playing CM for another 10 years?
I dont think many guys will be playing this version of CM in ten years. Maybe newer games like it though. Look at the way this type of game was ten years ago! Does anyone here play games that are ten years old now?

I for one wont and I do admit that CM does not take up so much of my time now as it did even 3 years ago. It does eventually get a wee bit samey, as all games do I suppose.
10-15-2006, 04:35 AM,
Hi

Never say never :)

I still play Steel Panthers (or at least SPWAW) on occassion and it is around 10yrs old.

Getting CM to work on a system in 10yrs time might be a problem though :rolleyes:

Cheers
Send this user an email
10-15-2006, 05:55 PM,
I can't see myself still playing CM in its present incarnation in ten years. However the new version of CM looks more and more promising every day....the artillery system was unveiled a few days ago and looks excellent. Can't wait for the first WWII version to come out.....although it will still be some time.

It does seem tho that the new CM will be limited in scope to company size, not battalion size as at present.

If I can ever free up a bit of time, the new Napoleonic game being developed at Battlefront looks mighty promising. I am almost certain to give that a go.

CS still has some appeal despite being ten years old (almost), so anything is possible.
10-15-2006, 07:13 PM,
I will not be playing CM in ten years time. There will be a superior game out which includes most of the items players want in a wwii wargame.

Game mechanics is what counts. Eye candy is the icing on the cake.

As for running CM on a computer in ten years time it would present no problems if code was written to emulate todays code.
10-15-2006, 07:15 PM,
As long as new and interesting scenarios are being made then I dont see why not. Also if the CMC ever comes to fruition that will extend the lifetime of the CMx1 engine.

Bootie
10-15-2006, 11:31 PM,
I've mentioned this recently on Battlefront.com, but what CM needs to keep it more interesting is more scenarios that have victory conditions that aren't just about capturing flags. This gets kind of dull after a while. But some designers, particulary Hans on Scenario Depot, have created scenarios that require you to blow up a bridge, or take prisoners, or make sure a particular unit survives a journey. These are more like plot hooks for a movie, and can really get you more involved in the game. In fact, they're similar to the sorts of objectives you often find in real-time games, which is what makes those sorts of things enjoyable (for a while). Combine an interesting objective with tactical maneuevers and you've got a game that'll keep me playing for a while.
10-15-2006, 11:32 PM,
I've mentioned this recently on Battlefront.com, but what CM needs to keep it more interesting is more scenarios that have victory conditions that aren't just about capturing flags. This gets kind of dull after a while. But some designers, particulary Hans on Scenario Depot, have created scenarios that require you to blow up a bridge, or take prisoners, or make sure a particular unit survives a journey. These are more like plot hooks for a movie, and can really get you more involved in the game. In fact, they're similar to the sorts of objectives you often find in real-time games, which is what makes those sorts of things enjoyable (for a while). Combine an interesting objective with tactical maneuevers and you've got a game that'll keep me playing for a while.
10-15-2006, 11:33 PM,
10-15-2006, 11:45 PM,
I've mentioned this recently on Battlefront.com, but what CM needs to keep it more interesting is more scenarios that have victory conditions that aren't just about capturing flags. This gets kind of dull after a while. But some designers, particulary Hans on Scenario Depot, have created scenarios that require you to blow up a bridge, or take prisoners, or make sure a particular unit survives a journey. These are more like plot hooks for a movie, and can really get you more involved in the game. In fact, they're similar to the sorts of objectives you often find in real-time games, which is what makes those sorts of things enjoyable (for a while). Combine an interesting objective with tactical maneuvers and you've got a game that'll keep me playing for a while.