• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thoughts on Minsk?
10-14-2006, 04:13 AM,
Thoughts on Minsk?
Anybody have some first impressions they want to share?
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2006, 04:40 AM,
RE: Thoughts on Minsk?
10-14-2006, 09:34 AM,
RE: Thoughts on Minsk? - and more!!!
I'll give you some real feedback in about a week - Aolain and I are just Ko'ing a "no fixed" scenario - should be good - For one of us !! - ( I just smacked his bum at S42 - again!!)

Glenn - (if your reading this) - thanks for your response earlier - I think we need all the higher HQs on the map ALWAYS - particulary with the new arty support stuff - it just helps to make sense of it all (not that i'm thick y'all know)

I also think that the we need to reconsider the job that hqs do - and the ramifacations of not having them

some issues/questions

If a whole unit is destroyed - why is the hq reistigated and then allowed to capture objectives that the whole unit could'nt get in the first place?

it seems strange to me, when compared to the historical situation sometimes, that one can quite easily destroy elite units that went on for years, in 2 turns they are gone, and there is no cadre in the rear area that could be rebuilt - but a HQ with no units to command can then become a superunit, if its got nothing else better to do - wow - i'm going for a beer now - this just does not stackup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to leave sitting it there now- except to say this is a brilliant system, and superb games - but why - oh why - can't I get a decent game of S43 or K85? - it got to the point that some time ago I even challegenged V. Waldenberg (All Hail) to game of Arhem and he never even gave me the honor of a response - pah - C'est la vie

Can we have some more debate and less whining -(Hiroo your just not happy with any-thing mate)

Got ot go now the baby needs feeding

cheers

Chris
10-14-2006, 12:37 PM,
Looks like a real challenge for the Russian. Lots of nasty swampy ground and rivers to cover in a short time. Good for Gollum, but not for T34/85s.
10-15-2006, 03:09 AM,
RE: Thoughts on Minsk? - and more!!!
Hadge Wrote:some issues/questions

If a whole unit is destroyed - why is the hq reistigated and then allowed to capture objectives that the whole unit could'nt get in the first place?

it seems strange to me, when compared to the historical situation sometimes, that one can quite easily destroy elite units that went on for years, in 2 turns they are gone, and there is no cadre in the rear area that could be rebuilt - but a HQ with no units to command can then become a superunit, if its got nothing else better to do - wow - i'm going for a beer now - this just does not stackup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't the World at War series from Avalon Hill have an interesting feature, where destroyed units had a percentage chance of being reformed? This was where units that were eliminated had a chance to come back into the game at tht HQ hex, albeit with low strength and high fatigue.

This would be a nice feature with this game and allow rebuilding formations, especially in campaign games.

Just a thought

Steve
10-15-2006, 03:17 PM,
I just got Minsk and looked it over, looks interesting and challenging. I see the mass of Russian forces and the somewhat thinly placed Germans and I think oh great, another german crushing, then I see the terrain, will make for some interesting tactical decisions indeed.

As for reconstituting of units, I do not think the current time frame that PzC games have allow for this possibility. Reconstituting destroyed units took time and a week or two is just not enough time to recover and put a unit back into the frontlines (at least in the proper sense).

I know one thing I would love to see in PzC is the incorporation of linked scenarios like the Napoleon and Civilwar series have. It would give a whole new meaning to preserving units, allow for the restoration of some units between scenarios and add a new dimension to the series including the possibility of tons of new what if scenarios in a campaign. I understand the scales are totally different but imagine the possibilities :)

Having just gotten the game, I'm up for a game if there are any takers. Either side is fine, standard rules etc..etc..

Shoot me an email [email protected]
10-16-2006, 08:27 AM,
A simple solution would be to not allow HQs to take objectives. HQs don't represent enough real front line strength to take and hold ground, IMO; a reformed HQ represents, as far as I can tell, an emergency, ad hoc collection of command and control assets thrown together from remnants of the command structure, in order to provide minimal C3I. (I'd like to see a reformed HQ's command rating dropped precipitously as well, if it already isn't.) Therefore, it would seem justified to not allow HQs to take objectives--they are not really combat forces.