• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking to make first PzC purchase.
09-27-2006, 01:43 PM,
Looking to make first PzC purchase.
:conf: Have been reading through this forum and am thinking about giving one of the PzC a go. Currently playing SP and CM, but winters right around the corner so may as well add another game to the collection. Have read some of the game reviews at wargamer and PzC sites to select a title to start with. Am soliciting the experts at this forum for your recommendations.
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2006, 01:50 PM,
Smile  RE: Looking to make first PzC purchase.
It really depends upon the type of play you're looking for. Some of them are inch-by-inch brawls, and some of them are real maneuver-fests. Then there are the differences between early-, mid-, and late-war technologies and training.

I'm no big-time veteran of this particular ladder, but I have a lot of them and the first two Russian front games are still my faves. That would be Smolensk and Kharkov. Stalingrad's turning out to be quite good, too. But I like maneuver battles. (I also like El Alamein.)

From what I understand, the western front games like Normandy and Bulge are much more slog-fests. I haven"t got those particular titles, for that very reason.

I'm sure that many others will pipe in shortly....
09-27-2006, 02:11 PM,
RE: Looking to make first PzC purchase.
I would also recommend Market Garden as a all time favourite of mine, it is the great to attempt to change history and save the 1st AB, it is a race against time, the Germans desparately defend and delay the brave XXX corps drive to Arnhem.

Normandy can be a Bocage struggle in some scenario's but it is still a good game if you like the battles of Normandy, as waves of allies hit the beaches the gremans wait with a powerful SS lead counter attack.

Cheers

Peter777
09-27-2006, 03:28 PM,
:rolleyes:I prefer to have some manuevering room to get a better feel for travel modes, movement points, recon and such. I was going to steer clear of Stalingrad siege scenarios at first. I like a variety of terrain, so desert action may not be my first choice, either. I usually avoid late war battles after Jan. '45. So, that has narrowed down my selections.
09-27-2006, 03:38 PM,
RE:��Looking to make first PzC purchase.
USS Wyoming Wrote:I prefer to have some manuevering room to get a better feel for travel modes, movement points, recon and such.

Given your preferences, trust me on these two recommendations:

1. Smolensk 41. It is a thoroughly brilliant title and actually the first in the series. It is filled with a wealth of fun scenarios of maneuver, encirlcement and breakthrough. There is also a scenario expansion pack for download from Glenn's site http://members.shaw.ca/gcsaunders/welcome.html

2. Tobruk 41. Ditto on the wide open expanses and the hell in breaking through those minefields.

Have fun with whatever you choose. You will find immense variety as your collection and exploration grows... The blizzards of Rzhev, the chaos of Kharkov, the wall of steel at Kursk, the bitterness of Sicily, the desperation of Moscow, the vengeance of Stalingrad.

Kharkov and Sicily make for some great titles too. But S41 and T41 will meet your criteria fully,

Adam.
09-27-2006, 03:52 PM,
RE:��Looking to make first PzC purchase.
USS Wyoming Wrote::rolleyes:I prefer to have some manuevering room to get a better feel for travel modes, movement points, recon and such. I was going to steer clear of Stalingrad siege scenarios at first. I like a variety of terrain, so desert action may not be my first choice, either. I usually avoid late war battles after Jan. '45. So, that has narrowed down my selections.

Hey Wyoming.

" I was going to steer clear of Stalingrad siege scenarios at first."

See - this is the neat thing. In Stalingrad, we steered clear of siege Scns - well, OK _ I included one because I figured people would ask.

Stalingrad is mainly focused on Uranus - which is manuever in the snow - not as fats as Summer - but you have a good chance to capture lots of ground.

Honestly - your best bet is to pick a battle that interests you. Be it one you know about and want to study further - or one you want to learn about.

Personally - I like Alamein over Tobruk because the map is huge - it includes neat things like Malta, and it covers a period where the British TO&E changed quite a bit.

I like MG44 and Bulge on the West Front - MG44 is smaller and as such perhaps more playable because of size. But Sicily is also a favourite and as you can guess, I favor the west Front over the East.

I like Kharkov more than Smolensk because both sides get to be the attacker. But I like Stalingrad better.

...and who knows what else is coming. So pick whatever title interests you the most and you can't go wrong - because everybody has their own favourites and nobody can tell you which kinda car to drive either.

Glenn
Send this user an email
09-27-2006, 04:01 PM,
When anybody asks this question the best answer is always buy the title covering the period of the war you like the best, if you also know a bit of the historical background that will help you enjoy it also! :)
09-28-2006, 12:43 AM,
I agree with what Foul has said it's a good starting point to find the title you know the most about. However that said it's also a great way to learn I started with Normandy because I knew the most about it and the games great. Then because Normandy was so good I purchased Smolensk even though I knew nothing about it now I know a whole lot more and have every title. No matter which title you begin with you wont be going wrong they all have their own unique feel and atmosphere and it feels right every time though some take alot longer to play than other so if time is a consideration and you want quick pick Salerno or Market Garden if you want to go deeper and longer then look east. Now I'm rambling so better finnish.
09-28-2006, 07:10 AM,
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
09-28-2006, 09:38 AM,
:whis: Helpful information all around. I think I'll buy two. Takes the pressure off of deciding which [i]one to buy. Thanks all.