• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DEFENDING the REich discussion;and other games:)
09-24-2006, 11:45 AM,
DEFENDING the REich discussion;and other games:)
Thoughts on "Defending the Reich":
No matter the small talk on some newsgroups (i.e. the new "twitch and click games...etc) I am enjoying this new offering by HPS. It is a bit absracted for the benefit of playability; such as :
1. Flak is represented by points dealt out to cities as needed.
2. The Allied player has command points, used for unit repairs, R+D, and morale building efforts, after these are used the remainder are used to set up a one week raid effort over nighttime Germany.
3. The German player uses command points for the same reasons plus moving units around to new airbases.
So in a nutshell it's boiled down to the Allied player planning one night of raids per week VS the German player directing his fighters towards the oncoming raids that night = a one week passage.
The system this way really works well and suits it perfectly, just enough info without reaching overload.
I've played BTR and it = info overload.
And the AI gives a very good game in itself, I have yet to be on the winning side of the graph yet:(
I have a game going for both sides at the moment and it's enjoyable from either side, I highly reccomend it.
That's my take on "Defending the Reich" , ask me any other questions , I'll try my best to answer....

Other games I can discuss also;:soap:

Prosims Air Assault TF(demo)
Distant Guns (demo)
HArpoon 3 anw
Dangerous waters
Birth of America
Conquest of the Aegean
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2006, 04:12 AM,
RE: DEFENDING the REich discussion;and other games:)
I appreciate seeing your volunteered comments. I have not purchased this game yet because I was waiting to see if the AI is decent. Apparently it is, so I expect to buy it soon.

As you know there aren't any internal game functions that prevent you from reloading other HPS game files endlessly (e.g., PzC). That makes them less than ideal for highly competitive PBEM (at least in comparison to the ones from matrixgames IMO). Can the PBEM files for Defending the Reich (a HPS game) be reloaded repeatedly without negative consequences, or can you gain an advantage in a PBEM game by reloading the game files repeatedly? :conf:
09-25-2006, 04:48 AM,
Sadly after the German player sees where the main Allied bomber force is coming from and its target he could repeatedly play the turn over and over to get best results...hopefully there aren't many players that unsportsmanlike ; but like I said at the start the AI in DTR is good.
09-25-2006, 12:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2006, 12:16 PM by Gasbag.)
Just finished playing 2 weeks of a campaign as the German, General "Beppo" Schmid Big Grin & I managed to get a decisive victory the first week & a major victory on the second.:cool: This is a rarity (for me anyway). With the British (AI) jamming my ground radar this quote by Wolfgang Falk (taken from Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #20: German Night Fighter Aces of World War 2 page 11) seems appropriate, "Switch off all the lights in the room and try to catch a fly with your hands".
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
09-25-2006, 12:35 PM,
....I must not get it yet, I'm still losing big time in both games:(

"Switch off all the lights in the room and try to catch a fly with your hands".

!!!! Excellent Quote!!!! :smoke: