• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stalingrad '42 Inconsistencies?
09-15-2006, 08:39 PM,
Stalingrad '42 Inconsistencies?
Whilst playing our current S'42 "SS to the rescue" game, I thought I would check out some of the other scenarios to ascertain the historical situation vrs the situation in our game, and noticed the following:-

In Scenario 1212_02 "Plugging the dyke" which starts on the 12th Dec '42 (Turn 240 in SS to the R), the Soviets have available the 5th Mech Corps and 3rd Gds Cav Corps of the 5th TkA, which are not in the SS campaign game.

In Scenario 1212_01 "Winter Storm" which starts on 12th Dec also, the Soviets have the 1st Gds Rifle Corps and the 12th Gds Rifle Corps of the 2nd Gds Army, which dont appear in the SS campaign either.

In scenario 1127_01 "The Train Now arriving" which starts on 27th Nov ( Turn 85 in SS to the R) - the 6th Panzer is detraining in Kotel'nikovskiy at 0400hrs, yet in the SS camp this unit is not released until Turn 190.

This is a great game, so dont get me wrong - but can anybody shed some insight into the above?

cheers for now

Chris

Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2006, 10:08 PM,
RE: Stalingrad '42 Inconsistencies?
I noticed a couple of things like that. I think the some of the units that are "Guards" got renamed during the campaign, but the game can't do this.
09-15-2006, 10:30 PM,
The 3rd GCC is present in this scenario, the HQ starts at 87,68. I believe the 13th Gd Rifle Corps (not the 12th) got formed during the operation, as Jazman guessed.

I don't know about the situation of the 5th Mech and 1st Gd Rifle Corps, they could have taken over divisions in the OOB under a different corps, they might be missing as you think.

As to the 6th Pz, as this is a what if, and it includes the major change of including the SS, the arrival of the SS would have required a huge amount of train capacity to move them to the east. This would have possibly/probably/definitely delayed the arrival of the other divisions sent to the area - the Germans were always tight on train capacity for moving units around, plus the tracks to this area were further limited by quality and number of tracks available. So I believe this change was made to handle the delays in getting troops to the front.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-16-2006, 03:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-20-2006, 05:00 AM by von Waldenburg.)
Also 4 aditional Tank Corps were merely some miles from the west edge of the board (the ones that attacked the airfields that the germans where using to resupply Stalingrad). Some of these units could be available to the russians via a S|O for example... apart from the 5th Mech Corps which is in Chir River scn.