• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Normandy Omaha Beach Scenario
09-11-2006, 03:55 AM,
Normandy Omaha Beach Scenario
Hello. I recently picked up a copy of Normandy 44 and started the Omaha Beach scenario (the smaller 2 day variant). My question, is it possible to obtain all the objectives in 1 day? No matter how hard I try, I can maybe obtain 2 or 3 objectives at the most in 1 day (9 turns). I focus all my fire on the clear hexes with pillboxes in hopes of enemy disruption. Still cannot acheive history. The scenarios starting on June 7th show the US owning all the objectives so I figured I could recreate history as well. I even tried Volcano's Mans variant and still face the same dilemma. Any ideas on how to capture the objectives or is it even possible?
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2006, 04:58 AM,
RE: Normandy Omaha Beach Scenario
Although I haven't played Normandy in some time. As I recall, the best way to take the objectives is to do what you can with your artillery (including naval fire) but not to wait for German units to disrupt before assaulting. Assault with infantry and engineers against the pill boxes whether the enemy units are disrupted or not, in order to take the hexes out right, or to cause German disruption. Then, if you need to, continue assualting in later turns until you've taken the hexes. Of course this often means heavy casualties, but's it's the only way to move off the beach quickly.
Send this user an email
09-11-2006, 07:22 AM,
From the little I've tried against the AI, with VM's variant, with alternative fire and assault options on, I can't do squat, maybe one or two objectives on day one, and that's going after the "easy" bunkers and pillboxen. VM's variant turns the beach into a hell of death and confusion. The Naval gunfire is mostly ineffective, it all comes down to some luck, but maybe I'm just unlucky.
09-11-2006, 11:02 AM,
Jazman,

Expect an update soon with McNamara based db changes. I think it works very well and the beaches have a more historical loss ratio.
Send this user an email
09-11-2006, 12:33 PM,
Ed, I 've been looking forward to it. I find it incredibly difficult to get off the beaches, just playing the AI! I figure if I play a human I'm dead, so I haven't.
09-11-2006, 01:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2006, 01:41 PM by PenCapChew.)
Thanks for the replies. I figured the stock campaign the US casualties should be high (approx 2000-3000 casualties on that day). I'm not sure if PzC losses in men represents killed only. The averaged men loss is around 1000 for the first 6 turns. But attaining all the objectives should be possible in the first day. One thing I did notice is that the naval gunfire is more deadly in stock campaign than it the variants. It seems correct in that assessment.
09-12-2006, 01:55 PM,
Tried the scenario again (stock one). Still cannot capture a majority of objective hexes in 9 turns. When I try to assault, I mainly get disrupted. It's almost suicide to assault the enemy w/o them being disrupted. Can anyone else capture them? I'd really like to hear more opinions from experienced Pzc players.
09-12-2006, 03:54 PM,
I don't think I've ever played that scenario sounds very tough! I suggest you read the following article by RickyB (find it in the G-2 section above):

Assault on a fortified position

Some good thoughts in there as I recall.

Fury
09-13-2006, 02:25 AM,
Well, it also depends on what the axis player does. In this case it is the AI which will hold to the last man. So if you are looking for a historical result of some kind then it is likely that it wont happen.

Regardless of if you play the stock scenario or an ALT version I do not think it would be possible to take all the hexes on the beach on the first day. You can only strive to take the majority of them. And the reason is that it depends on what the axis player does. Historically, once the defenses was penetrated enough in several areas then the defenders began to withdraw... and this is the only way that you will be able to see such a result. I have participated in PBEM games where the defenses were breached in several areas and my German forces were being isolated so I began to withdraw them along a more historical approach.

Also, it is indeed a trade off. You may not be taking all the defensive positions on the first day because they are not withdrawing but then again you are likely causing more losses than were historical on the defenders once you begin isolating and capturing them.

If you havent noticed yet the weakest link in the whole chain is (from the campaign map coordinates) 93.44 where the terrain is not so good for the defenders (field and there is no escarpment) and the defenders are rated "E". What I would do is land on the beach and wait until about 1000 before you begin attacking. At that time the mines should be somewhat cleared out and the better "B" rated infantry units will start arriving. Don't bring on your AT gun units either, they will just clog the beaches.
Send this user an email
09-13-2006, 12:44 PM,
Thanks for the info Volcano Man. In other games I have played that covered Normandy (in particular the omaha section), if the Germans stayed too long near the beaches, the Allied Air interdiction would strangle them by cutting off supply near the beaches. Does PzC simulate this by lowering the local supply value near the beaches if the Germans stay too long?