• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Corps attachment question?
09-09-2006, 05:46 AM,
c_Question Mark  Corps attachment question?
I have a large number of divisions in an area, most all under different Corps command. One Corps is rated "A" the others B & C. Is it better to attach all those divisions to the one A rated Corps? I think so but is it? Are there disadvantages to having one Corps command? The front is limited. von :Pege:cool:
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2006, 11:39 AM,
RE: Corps attachment question?
Corps attachment to a single A morale HQ would have the following risks / benefits to weigh.

1. Benefit - A morale is highest morale, therefore the parent HQ would have less chance of being "Out of Command" with the chain reaction this can cause.

2. Risk - Using only a single parent HQ, even a highly rated one, places all your eggs in one basket. If the parent goes "out of Command" you may find your defense crumbling or your offensive stalled until the command structure recovers.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
09-10-2006, 01:39 PM,
Does this mean that each HQ unit; Army, Corps, Division, does ONE command check, which it either passes or fails, for the whole turn? von ege
09-10-2006, 01:42 PM,
Also, how does an "A" rated HQ fail a command test? Doesn't the A rating insure automatic "in command" status? :cool:
09-10-2006, 01:42 PM,
Read The Fine Manual:

The Command Test

At the beginning of a player’s turn, a Command Test is performed for all HQ units for that side. The Command Test begins with the highest level HQ units for that side and for that scenario. Given a Supply value in the hex the HQ unit is in of X%, the HQ will be in command if a randomly generated percentage is less than this Supply value.

Example: suppose that the highest level HQ for the German command is a Panzer Corps and that the Supply value in the hex it is in is 80%. There is thus an 80% chance that this HQ will be In Command in any given turn.

The highest level HQ units are marked as Out of Command if they fail this test. The Command Test then proceeds down the chain to the next level of HQ units. For these HQ units and all others in the test, the HQ has two chances to pass the Command Test. The first chance is based on the Supply test previously mentioned. If the HQ fails that test, then it is given a second chance provided that its superior HQ is not Out of Command. If the range from the HQ being tested to the superior HQ is R hexes, and if the superior HQ has a modified Command Range of C, then the HQ unit passes the second test provided that a randomly generated number between 0 and 1 is less than C / (R + C). The Command Test proceeds from higher level HQ’s down to the next level until all HQ units have been tested.

Example: We will continue with our example from above where that Panzer Corps passed its Command test. Suppose the process moves down to the HQ of the 3rd Panzer Division where that Division HQ fails the Command Test based on the Supply value (which was set at 80% in the above example). Since the Corps HQ is In Command, then a second test is performed. Suppose that the range from the HQ of the 3rd Panzer Division to the 24th Panzer Corps HQ is 10 and that the Command Range of the Panzer Corps HQ is 15. Then there is a 15/(10+15) or 15/25 = 3/5 chance that the 3rd Panzer Division HQ unit will pass this test and thus be In Command.
09-10-2006, 01:47 PM,
Ok, thanks for researching the info. I'm more used to command tests in Napoleonics which rely exclusively upon cammand rating. von ege :)
09-10-2006, 04:44 PM,
Is the range R from the HQ in this rule "as the crow flies" or a line that avoids zoc's/unbridged rivers etc? I don't see this in the manual...Thanks.

Fury
09-11-2006, 04:53 PM,
Sgt Fury Wrote:Is the range R from the HQ in this rule "as the crow flies" or a line that avoids zoc's/unbridged rivers etc? I don't see this in the manual...Thanks.

Fury

That's an interesting question. The French in 1940 relied upon messengers and the telephone service. Most everyone else radios, I think, tho I don't know. With radios, it would be as the crow flies. What communications did the Italians in Africa use? The Romaninas and Hungarians in Russia? The Red Army? von ege :conf: