• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SFS Round 3 - Starting Soon!
09-03-2006, 03:18 PM,
b_Exclamation Mark  SFS Round 3 - Starting Soon!
Guys,

The Round 2 deadline has arrived, so all matches SHOULD be complete with results to me. But there are still a handful of matches that have not reported in. :hissy:

Please get them wrapped up in the next couple days if you are still playing your match! :soap:

We will likely get Round 3 started sometime mid-week, so please watch the message board for announcements and pairings.

cheers
Thor
SFS Tournament Director Sgt
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2006, 02:54 AM,
RE: SFS Round 3 - Starting Soon!
Hi Mark, we play four games each and then the top 16 go into a knockout round? Can you publish a table after round 2 and 3 if that is the case? (Before I get beaten)

Cheers, Chris
09-07-2006, 03:44 AM,
Hi Chris,

Yes that is correct. Each player in the SFS Tournament will play four matches -- so we are halfway done. Two more to go against player groups not yet encountered.

Then, after the four rounds, Phase I of the SFS Tournament will be complete and the "Sweet 16" will move on to single elimination rounds until one man is left standing. The skill/experience of the player matchups and scn balance will be factors in those rounds too. So it does not mean that necessarily the best players will win the tournament.

But that is what makes it fun and challenging. Please see the SFS Tournament Home page under the Blitz G-3 Ops section for more details.

I will post player standings with some stats for the first two rounds soon.

Unfortunately, I have run into some serious computer :censored: and work issues :angry: and need at least one more week to get the next round off and running.

Some of my files are in a crashed hard drive that hopefully can be resurrected. If not, I will go back and recompile them by hand, but would like to wait for the computer to be fixed.

Sorry for the delay fellas. We should be up and running on Round 3 by the start of next week.

cheers
Thor
SFS Tournament Director Sgt
09-07-2006, 01:44 PM,
Mark,

I'm sure I share the view of the entire Blitz community, in that well all appreciate your fine efforts in this Tourney. I am looking forward to coming up against a fellow shark this round..The pain can wait a week though...

Matt
09-08-2006, 12:51 AM,
You are among friends Mark :hissy:

http://www.thisistrue.com/dellhell.html

09-08-2006, 08:16 AM,
LOL. Thanks Chris. And thank you Matt for the kind words.

Now, I just got the "good news" and "bad news" from Dell:

Bad News:

1) "one of your hard drives is shredded and totally gone/unretreivable :censored: ; and

2) because of the lame "strapped" HD system we (Dell) set up with information "split" between your two HDs, when one goes, the other is worthless; thus :mad:

3) any information on your HDs is unretrievable, gone, history . . ." Eek :eek1: Cry Hang

The Good News: "Everything else on your computer is fine."

I said: "what, you mean that hunk of plastic?"

Dell: "Yes." Violin

Soooo, it may take more than just this weekend to reconstruct some of the records from the first two SFS Rounds and get back on track fellas.

My sincere apologies, I will get the next round off and running within a week hopefully. The game records, coorespondence files, scn stats and tournament info I had compiled is all now dust in the cyber-wind, but I have most of it somewhere in hard copy and/or on the Blitz site -- so it is just a matter of re-compiling stuff.

But a lot of our family photos, all of my WWII photos collected over several years -- and lots of downloaded, purchased software and upgrades are "history." :censored:

Moral of the story: maybe the military gets it right in doing everything in triplicate. :rolleyes:

Mark~Thor

09-08-2006, 04:35 PM,
Mark,

Yet another satisfied Dell Customer...

Next time you may wish to consider a straight mirror (RAID 1) of both of your hard drives, especially considering that disks are so cheap these days. That way all the information on your 1st harddrive is replicated on the 2nd and if the 1st fails you haven't lost a thing as the 2nd drive operates until the 1st is replaced..You need a RAID Array controller to get this to work, however.

That is pretty much how most Servers are run these days. If Dell did some bizarro form of Disk striping, they deserve to be shot as you need a minimum of 3 Hard Disks to make this work, 2 Disks to stripe the Data and 1 disk to maintain parity, so that data can be recovered if either of the first two fail. Looks like they gave you a bum steer..as an option you can always just grab Norton Ghost and backup the entire contents of one disk onto another..

Whoops too much computer talk..back to work for me

Matt ~Digger

09-14-2006, 02:25 AM,
I feel your pain, Mark. I've been without my main computer for about two months now due to my mobo going back and forth to ASUS. I've had to do my EF/WF gaming off my laptop and dealing with touchpad mismoves and such, not a good thing to happen during the SFS tournament but unable to be avoided. My good news is that ASUS finally decided that, yes, my mobo is dead so they are sending a brand new replacement that will be here Thursday. Woo Hoo! Bring on the Sharks!

Mike