• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Do Air Units get replacements?
08-29-2006, 07:20 AM,
Do Air Units get replacements?
I've never seen an air unit get a replacement in a command report. Do they operate under special rules? von Egan Cry
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2006, 08:01 AM,
RE: Do Air Units get replacements?
Send this user an email
08-29-2006, 08:11 AM,
But to add to this, I am nearly positive that I have seen a message show up that an air unit received a replacement. I may try and setup a test on this tonight and post the results.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
08-29-2006, 10:07 AM,
RE:��Do Air Units get replacements?
Send this user an email
08-29-2006, 11:32 AM,
I set up the test using a reduced to 1 airplane unit for each side and ran it twice. First time through, no replacements for the reduced strength units, either side. However, the second time through each of the two units received a replacement air point within a few turns of the start.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM,
Well that's good to know. I'm playing a F40 campaign now as the Germans and I want to hold back my Stukas to use against only armoured units in clear terrain. I think I can be pretty sure that if I lose a few I won't be seeing any replacements soon. Thanks for the info Ricky. von ege Eek
08-29-2006, 04:53 PM,
Yes. Air units can get replacements. I've seen it sometimes over the years in various pzc theaters(99.9% positive on this) and with Richard's test any doubt is cleared. I asume they use the same recovery rates as any other unit. Aditionally check for fatigue prior to comitting an air asset cause air units can break too. Everything comes to show the fact that they are treated like a normal unit in many respects...
08-29-2006, 05:57 PM,
Everything comes to show the fact that they are treated like a normal unit in many respects...
[/quote]

You might be right. My guess is most playres use 'em or lose 'em: Those air boys don't sit around too much in these games. However, what about at night, like in the Ardennes, with 3 long night turns, and days of inaction on account of weather? We often see sometimes hundreds of ground units getting replacemets. But I've played a few B44 campaigns, gotten the USAAF shot to pieces by German flak and Hell, I've never seen an air replacement recorded there! I'm playing a campaign now in Flanders and I'll start keeping tabs I have a feeling I'm not going to see too many Stukas repaired, :mad:
von ege
08-30-2006, 03:59 AM,
If I'm not mistaken the Low replacement rates in bulge may have something to do with the few planes replaced. If the recovery is 1% or even 2% you would need to lose roughly 40-50% of an asset's strength to get good chances of seeing replacements coming in somewhat fluidly. It depends on the strenght lost previously in combat.

The way I see it is: as there's no expecific explanations for fatigue, disruption, etc for air units in the rulebook and considering what I've seen in command reports over the years I guess they work in many ways as a normal unit. So I asume in a 3 night turn scheme they would be able to recover a lot of fatigue like any other unit.
08-30-2006, 04:09 AM,
Ricky B Wrote:I set up the test using a reduced to 1 airplane unit for each side and ran it twice. First time through, no replacements for the reduced strength units, either side. However, the second time through each of the two units received a replacement air point within a few turns of the start.

Rick

Did the air replacements show up on the command report? von eges
cheers