• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

F40 Multi-Strategy Campaign Question
08-26-2006, 03:21 PM,
F40 Multi-Strategy Campaign Question
Eek I'm taking a closer look at this scenario and I'm wondering why is it that the vast bulk of German forces are fixed, while the opposite seems to be true for the other side, especially the Belgians? Almost all the German army is fixed, or about 90% of it that I see, and it's 8 am on Day 1. On the other hand, large portions of the Belgian army have free reign to maneuver, and large Belgian forces can be moved quickly into the Ardennes, starting at day break on Day 1. This is an historic impossibility. What is the idea here?
:conf: von Egan
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2006, 03:58 PM,
RE: F40 Multi-Strategy Campaign Question
The German unit status is copied directly from the original campaign, so no surprises there. The designer notes cover the reason for so many starting fixed, although maybe not totally directly. But basically, Germany and the unit start points are not on the map, but due to ease of working with units on map versus reinforcements, the original design started with these units on map but fixed until they historically arrived in the areas depicted. It took awhile, days for the rearmost divisions, to reach the map areas shown, and these latter divisions are shown as reinforcements rather than on map.

As to the Belgians, I see 4 divisions along the Meuse from Liege to Namur that make up this large portion of the Belgian army that can march south and leave the area undefended. 2 are at Liege, and would probably be quickly destroyed if they abandon the city to a direct German attack and head off south. The next division is, I believe, the 2e Division Chaussers Ardennes, and a portion of it is already placed further south - I would say by its name it should be heading south anyway, if needed. The fourth and final division is around Namur, 70 km to the west of the frontier. These foot troops, as with the first two divisions, will take awhile to head anywhere useful if they give up their defensive positions around the city.

I don't know why it was historically impossible for the Belgians to send more of their troops on foot into the Ardennes, but there isn't a large force able to do so. Do you have some support for saying this limited force could not have marched into the Ardennes?

Thanks for the thoughts, but please support it with some facts if you could, in conjunction with the truly limited portion of the Belgian army that is even available to do this - and remember the Germans may select a strong right wing and roll through the Belgian plain, as they originally planned to do - moving these few Belgian divisions will leave nothing to prevent the Germans from blasting through to the French border before the allies can move up.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
08-26-2006, 04:34 PM,
08-26-2006, 09:59 PM,
The plan the Belgians followed at the beginning of the campaign was:
move away from the ardennes (the troops there were only supposed to sabotage the roads) and retreat to defend the cities.
Send this user an email
08-26-2006, 11:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2006, 11:33 PM by Ricky B.)
RE:��F40 Multi-Strategy Campaign Question
08-27-2006, 12:36 AM,
08-27-2006, 01:01 AM,
Do you honestly think the 5eme DLC and the 2e Div Ch Ard can put a stop to a German advance in the Ardennes? Please give it a try. By noon on the 10th, the Germans will have the entire strength of 4 panzer divisions pushing through the area, assuming they choose historically (the standard campaign in other words). These divisions have approximately 1000 tanks between them. The 5eme DLC has 65 vehicles. The Belgians are on bikes, see how quickly they can outrace the Germans into the Ardennes. Please actually try it and then maybe you can share your files with myself/David and we can look at how well a historical advance is stopped by these bicyclists charging down.

Since the Belgians start with FEWER troops in the Ardennes, and it will take awhile for these guys on bicycles to reach the middle of the Ardennes, it might just come out equal with the standard campaign, of which it seems to be your only concern in comparing things. The 5eme DLC is free to move on turn one in the standard campaign too.

But I will bet that the forces you names cannot come close to stopping and advance west by the Germans, period. If I had time, I would offer a game to see, although I may not choose the historical advance for the Germans either.

Rick
08-27-2006, 01:20 AM,
Ricky B Wrote:Please actually try it and then maybe you can share your files with myself/David and we can look at how well a historical advance is stopped by these bicyclists charging down.

Big Grin Big Grin cheers Big Grin
Send this user an email
08-27-2006, 03:34 AM,
Ok, I see your point. My point is only that large Belgian forces shouldn't be able to strategically react at the crack of dawn on the 10th. But like you say, it needs to be played out. Thanks for taking the time write. :rolleyes:von Ege.
08-27-2006, 04:25 AM,
But I will bet that the forces you names cannot come close to stopping and advance west by the Germans, period. If I had time, I would offer a game to see, although I may not choose the historical advance for the Germans either.

Rick
[/quote]

:soap: One final point: 300 Spartans delayed the entire Persian Army at Thermopylae. von ege:P