Updated Stalingrad '42 ALT art / scenario pack
08-19-2006, 05:54 AM,
Updated Stalingrad '42 ALT art / scenario pack
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2006, 07:41 AM,
RE: Updated Stalingrad '42 ALT art / scenario pack
VM-

Any impact to games in progress if both sides update?

Thanks,

Dave
08-19-2006, 08:54 AM,
No, there should never be a problem with updating in mid game (this goes for all the ALT updates). I try to go through great care as not to ruin anyones games, of course I am not perfect but I try to make seperate OOBs when a change is made that will affect a PBEM game (in which case you will not see a certain change take effect unless you restart).
Send this user an email
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2006, 10:08 PM by milan.)
Hello VM,

thanks for taking my advices into Alt scenarios. And thanks one more time :)
But I noticed two more problems when I started the game:
1. German 150mm howitzers have range reduced to 8 instead of previous 13. Why this range reduction? This howitzer had normally rang of 13.325 m, while 105mm howitzer had range of 10.650m (in game range is 10).

2. If artillery had range reduction, I would like that artillery to be redeployed to support infantry in bunkers. I played first turn and most of my 150mm hovitzers and many Romanian 75mm guns haven't fied because of range reduction.

milicko
08-29-2006, 05:38 AM,
Actually, no, this seems to be a common misconception.

According to my sources, the 15cm sFH 18 had a relatively short maximum range (for its calibre) of 8km, hence 8 hexes. It is the improved 15cm sFH 36 (rocket assisted?) that had the maximum range of 12km which is the one you are thinking about. This variant came later. It seems that everywhere you look though (on the internet), the 15cm sFH gun is all classified as the "18" when in reality there was over seven variants! The 15cm sFH 18 was also the gun in which the main armament of the PzA III/IV 15cm (Hummel) SPG was based of it. It was criticized for its relatively short range.

Again, in the McNamara db, for which I have based mine off of, he has put the sFH 18 at 8km range. Now, I suppose that we could both be wrong (or that in PzC the gun was given the common "15cm sFH 18" name, but I don't want to hasten to make the 15cm sFH 18 into a "common" artillery gun with a generic range.

As far as #2, I thought I had searched for any out of range guns. Can you give me a specific hex location (in the campaign scenario) of a gun that is completely out of range? Of course they wont be able to hit as many targets as before, but I don't want some guns able to hit nothing at all either.
Send this user an email
08-29-2006, 08:26 AM,
Thanks for explanations :) I'll try to learn more about heavy artillery.

The hexes that need redeployment:
(1, 62), (43,58), (105,82), (127,87), (144,98)

milicko
08-29-2006, 08:52 AM,
Ok, I will look into it.

Also, I am not saying that the sFH 18 shouldnt have a 13km range, just that McNamara had placed it at 8km along with some data that I had. Before I decide what to do, I will research the range a bit more. Does anyone else have some data specifying whether the sFH 18 was 8km or 13km maximum range from a reliable source?
Send this user an email
08-29-2006, 05:20 PM,
08-29-2006, 09:45 PM,
I tried to find some data on Internet and here are some links:
http://www.wlhoward.com/id1077.htm
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/self...ummel.html
http://www.theeasternfront.co.uk/Vehicle...edguns.htm

They list sFH 18 range as 13km, and Hummel range as 12.5 km.

I couldn't find link that will mention 8km range.

A relatively short maximum range (for its calibre) note may refer to similar calibre Russain and French weapons that had range of 17-18km?

milicko
08-30-2006, 02:47 AM,
Interesting. I will check it out. It is not impossible that McNamara and I have made a mistake. It is possible that either McNamara's range was incorrect or that I made a mistake in plugging the value into the formula, or perhaps both is true.

One thing is true, I know the sFH 13 (WWI artillery) would have a PzC range of 9 hexes so it would make sense that the sFH 18 would be higher than that.
Send this user an email