• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dust spotting in F40?
08-13-2006, 06:00 AM,
Dust spotting in F40?
With air recon spotting off, just had a fleeing D/B artillery unit in travel mode, well behind my lines, dive bombed because my oponent saw a ? and hit it, hard. Is this a F40 design feature, or something carried over from EA42? :hissy: von EganCry
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2006, 06:30 AM,
RE: Dust spotting in F40?
I opened a few F40 scenario (started, hist. camp) and it appears that dust spotting is at 0% So the only way to see a ? is if counter battery fire is on, and a unit in the hex fired, or if in the view of a broken/supply unit. I think the range for counter battery spotting is 2x normal range...but not sure. Do you think this explains it? Or could this just be air interdiction...

Cheers,
Fury
08-13-2006, 06:41 AM,
Nope, I saw it on replay, so it wasn't interdiction, and played it over a few times to make sure. The unit was behind my lines, on low ground, behind woods, never actually spotted by anyone. It was in travel mode, and until then, I'd been able to extracate my D/B artillery intact. I'm still crying about it! :hissy: von Egan
08-13-2006, 08:36 AM,
OK, how about spotted by air recon, and then hit with airpower...? :-)
08-13-2006, 10:10 AM,
We are playing with limited air recon "on." So that's not possible. I'll send you the file with password and you can see that the unit is so far behind the lines that it is impossible that enemy units spotted it. von Egan Cry
08-13-2006, 10:11 AM,
Sorry, I mean the limited air recon is clicked, so it's actually off!
08-14-2006, 02:56 AM,
Smile  RE: Dust spotting in F40?
John if dust spotting is at 0%, then obviously the hex was discovered through air recon. All I know is it was late in the turn, and a long turn at that, and I had one Tac air mission left, and lots of air recon, so I like to check the road nets in front of my axis of advance. Just how many units did this KIA? It did not seem like a lot when I hit it, but your result sounds different. In any case, this sounds like an issue with you, so no fear, I will not use air recon on any hex that is not "?" by ground forces, as has been the case through most of the match. The bottom line is, was this air recon in an area where you had FIXED reinforcements in t-mode? Or were these normal units in transfer to the front. If the latter is the case, then you are taking chances leaving them in T-mode, especially considering the strength of the Luftwaffe at this point in the war. I don't think hits like that are out of the range of possibility.
Also, if you have opinions about air recon, I find it is best to suggest house rules for the match, this is something I always do if I play axis in N44. Enjoying our match very much. Cheers Ted.:)

08-14-2006, 03:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2006, 03:17 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well if limited air recon is not checked then that means that you can call airstrikes and artillery onto units that are spotted by air recon even if friendly ground units do not have a LOS to the unit. This also means that the enemy units can either be completely spotted or not completely spotted (? mark).

So what exactly is the problem Egan?
Send this user an email
08-14-2006, 03:26 AM,
This is not an issue with me Ted. It is a technical question only: How could it happen? The limited air recon rule is "on" or that is to say, a player may spot units with air recon, but not call in air-strikes, unless it is also spotted by a ground unit. I'm interested in how the program works, or doesn't work. With no dust-spotting, and the limited air recon rule in effect, the program should not have allowed an air strike, yet it did. This is a technical, program relaterd problem, so Carry on Sir! No house rules, just hit hard and fast when and where you can! von Egan Big Grin:smoke:
08-14-2006, 03:37 AM,
Volcano Man Wrote:Well if limited air recon is not checked then that means that you can call airstrikes and artillery onto units that are spotted by air recon even if friendly ground units do not have a LOS to the unit. This also means that the enemy units can either be completely spotted or not completely spotted (? mark).

So what exactly is the problem Egan?

Sorry, it's sometimes difficult to clarify, as to what the meaning of "on" and "off" is and I didn't do it very well. The limited air recon rule is checked. Therefore, it is off. That is my technical problem. The unit was not spottd by ground, yet the ? was hit by air strike anyway. My problem is not with my opponent but rather a technical program related question. von Egan cheers