• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Operation Winter Storm
08-08-2006, 07:12 AM,
Operation Winter Storm
What are people's thoughts on Axis strategy in this scenario. There's a long way to push with just 2 divisions initially. There is, however, a good amount of time so it should be possible to rest the troops in between engagements. Also 6th Pz is a very good formation but 23rd Pz is a little weaker and suffers from a lack of armor. How have people employed the 15 LW? The infantry is almost useless but they do have lots of 88's with them. The Jagers are practically immobile since it is either mud conditions or frozen. I'm about 15 turns into this one and it's been a great fluid scenario so far.
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2006, 07:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2006, 08:12 PM by von Waldenburg.)
RE: Operation Winter Storm
I think that scn is one of the best from S'42, the situation forces the german to push north as much as posible, but as you say there's enough time for various aproaches. The 6th Pz Div is virtually unstopable if used properly, so the question is how good you can do in the rest of your units' front. When all 3 pz divs of 57th PzK are together along with the LW Div is a sizeable and flexible enough force to rely on. A problem could be in the flanks held by rumanian troops specially in the axis right maybe. I'm not sure of these aspects as I'm playing it blind about the russian side to add flavour to the game. In my game it's turn 26 now and my oponent has retreated to the northern arm of the Aksay river and I have destroyed 1 rifle division virtually entirely with a pincer movemente between 23rd and 6th Pz divs plus some other batallions that were along the road from the lower Aksay. The rail line came handy to give transport to the 15th LW Div as it released today and storm conditions are currently dominating. I have moved the 15th LW Div by rail almost to the northern arm of the Aksay where 23rd Pz and 6th Pz's fronts meet. There they have detrained just behind the tanks to continue on foot as night aproaches and we hope the storm will end in 2 turns or so...
08-09-2006, 06:06 AM,
Have you been moving up the Rumanian division on the right flank? I have them in their starting positions, as I am afraid they will get beaten up too badly. I haven't looked at the Russian forces without fog of war so I don't know what they are looking at on the right wing. The victory points seem to be high so I'm trying to keep the casualty ratio as favorable as possible. I believe it's something like 6:1 in my favor right now.
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2006, 01:38 PM by von Waldenburg.)
Yes I have been moving the rumanian corps on the right slowly northward after linking with other rumanian division to their left. I'm slowly displacing 23rd Pz towards there to provide hypothetically necessary asistance to those units. I think it's a need to bring that front up so the rest of your lines are shorter.
08-10-2006, 12:49 PM,
Yes, I would agree, I just have so much trouble conducting anything resembling offense with the Rumanians. My two spearheads, 6th and 23rd panzer, are pretty much out there on there own and have fallen victim to some flanking attacks that have cost me a few arty pieces.