• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Where is Dog Soldier (Quiz)
08-04-2006, 01:40 PM,
c_Question Mark  Where is Dog Soldier (Quiz)
Hey all you HPS PzC gamers. The terrain you fight over can be an impoerant element in your tactics and strategy.

Look at the attached picture and tell me....where is this?

Bragging rights to the first to get it without trolling through all your game maps.

This one is an easy on to start things off.

Dog Soldier

.jpg   WIDS1.jpg (Size: 201.61 KB / Downloads: 94)
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2006, 02:30 PM,
RE: Where is Dog Soldier (Quiz)
Yes easy, it is Vyasma.
Send this user an email
08-05-2006, 01:56 AM,
Hey, no fair. Nobody uses those silly 3D map views. Real men play on 2D map view.

Paul
08-05-2006, 06:01 PM,
Vyazma is the correct answer. The Tortue_Agile is indeed quick. Tres bien.
This shot was taken in S41. Vyazma is the key to the Russians making a last stand in the stock campaign games. If the Germans have been bled enough by the time they get here, the Russians stand a chance of running out the clock and achieving a draw or only an minor loss.

.jpg   WIDS1 answer.jpg (Size: 143.15 KB / Downloads: 31)

That is if there are any Russians left. Rail movemt of disrupted divisions back to Vyazma to rest and recover while the rest of the army dies at Smolensk is the best way to be ready. Vyazma is also known as "The Alamo" by PzC gamers of S41.

SG,
On my screen, the 2D layout can cover 1/5 of the campaign map. The terrain definition in my second challange is not there if you look at it in 2D.

Guesses should be sent by email or PM. I will post the winners names in my next post on this thread. This should be more of a challenge.

.jpg   WIDS2.jpg (Size: 254.9 KB / Downloads: 71)

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
08-06-2006, 04:27 AM,
answer sent by PM... :-)
Send this user an email
08-08-2006, 06:51 AM,
San Fernando Valley in the '50s?
08-12-2006, 02:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2006, 02:38 PM by Dog Soldier.)
Several players answered correctly, but Steel God was fastest on the draw.

The correct answer is the Kanev bridge in K44.

.jpg   WIDS2 answer.jpg (Size: 211.69 KB / Downloads: 17)

This is an important piece of real estate in several K44 scenarios. Note the hill up and to the left across the river. This hill can be taken by an audacious Russian commander sending infantry across in boats. It is easy for the Germans to defend against such a crossing....if they get there first. Kanev bridge can be exciting as both sides struggle to outrace each other for key terrain features. He who is there first can make the difference in the battle.

Note the small river running up from the bridge to form an island above the bridge. If the German player, (who is trying to evacuate troops across the bridge right to left in this shot) forgets to isolate some infantry on this island, it can be seized by the Russian commander. Russian infantry which cross in boats are isolated, but their ZOC can be placed on the bridge from the marsh hex north of the bridge. This will not stop the Germans from crossing. It will slow them down, and make units vulnerable to air and artillery strikes.

This is one instance where the terrain is more important than the rule to avoid having your units isolated.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
08-12-2006, 02:21 PM,
Here is a new piece of land to identify.

.jpg   WIDS3.jpg (Size: 139.8 KB / Downloads: 80)

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
08-13-2006, 03:26 AM,
RE:��Where is Dog Soldier (Quiz)
:P
Dog Soldier Wrote:Here is a new piece of land to identify.

[attachment=633]

Dog Soldier

Well, I'm not sure myself - but I've spotted a map error in the image which I will correct if you can tell me where it is - maybe later.

Can anyone see the map error:P

Glenn
Send this user an email
08-13-2006, 05:06 AM,
No idea what the city is...but I have a couple guesses on the map error

Is it?

1. The strange red rectangle in the bottom of the image? (this is a joke)
2. River hexside extends along the lake, which presumeably would allow someone to build a bridge going out into the middle of the lake.

Fury