• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New matrix for ranks online?
07-24-2006, 01:42 AM,
c_Question Mark  New matrix for ranks online?
Gentlemen,

I checked my member page today and realized, that I was degraded from Fieldmarshal to 1st Lt.Eek
Looking at the ladder, it showed that we currently have no General in our Army!:chin:
Sgt Gentlemen, it is time to fill the upper ranks again!
Semper Fi!

Joerg
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2006, 02:37 AM,
RE: New matrix for ranks online?
Yeah, what's up with that? I went from Major-General to Sergeant! What happened? Did I sexually harass somebody?

Alex
07-24-2006, 04:03 AM,
Just proves that all glory is truly fleeting :-)
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
07-24-2006, 05:25 AM,
Hi Guys,

One of the many things that have been on the "drawing" board for over a year has been a revision of the Table of Ranks. :cool:
When you consider that twenty Size Mod 10 games [won with major victories] could get you to Marshal, and scoring was thought to be upgraded for all the other Ladders, it was time to put a realistic ToR that would reflect "reality"?
The Club was simply top heavy with Marshals and Generals.
The new 'matrix' allows for fast promotions at lower ranks, a little slower once officer status is reached, and then more difficult to get to the "Top" the closer you get. Eek

It should present a challenge to all and keep things interesting for those who have played, and do play, a lot of games? More will be presented in the upcoming August Newsletter. :smoke:

We are a club that promotes gaming? Play a lot of games and receive your promotions. ;)

cheers
07-24-2006, 06:11 AM,
I can't argue with this.......I always thot I was over rated :-)
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
07-24-2006, 06:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2006, 06:21 AM by Thor.)
07-24-2006, 06:25 AM,
Just wait till you start getting those Social Security checks.. that's a kodak moment for sure when you open up your mailbox and see that one in there, Gramps...

The Games will score more points to remain in relation to the Rank tables, so just keep gaming and you'll get past Loonie rank soon enough ... :)
07-24-2006, 06:44 AM,
I thought you had to work to get those checks? :P

Guess I won't be able to show my kids the Blitz ladder any more. It would be hard to justify to them and the Long Haired GENERAL why I spend so much time at this game and site, if after seven years, I am still a Lt.

I can hear it now, 'your'e a major all right, a major screw up . . . .'

Again, from my perspective, considering the historical context of these battles, I think the old system came closer to approximating the ratio of experience to rank than the draconian current one. The old may have provided too quick advancement, but this one really gives no incentive for careful, deliberate application of the CS art of war.

It will encourage game play more in line with Command and Conquer or PacMan it seems to me. :smg: :boom3: :smg: :boom3: :smg:

I really don't like it and think it could hurt club morale quite a lot. I also think it could have an effect on recruitment and membership as well.

But I have no vote in the matter other than as a member. I didn't participate in the discussion, although I'm sure I was welcome to. So I live with it.

I make a motion, however, that the late Jim Puff's rank never be changed from "General." Any club that would do that is truly missing something.

Thor

07-24-2006, 08:00 AM,
Cry
When you view the overall club, we have Marshals and Generals.
There were many perspectives and much discussion.
Even most early member feedback was positive. :smoke:

Let's not have a fit :hissy: until we are ready to have a fit. We are only part way through the transition. Scores will go up as the Points Tables are changed.
I don't think many will advance more than a rank above what they are now. Most will stay the same. none should go lower. Eek

Let's see what shakes out when all is said and done. :chin: Whip

You just might have to play more games and gum your shredded wheat? :rolleyes:

cheers

07-24-2006, 01:04 PM,
I've given this some thought today, and I really dislike a) the way this was done and b) the fact that it was done at all, and I agree that morale at the club may suffer a bit.

I dislike that club members weren't consulted or given a say in this decision, and that it was just done without telling anyone.

As far as the decision itself, I very much disagree with it. One of the things that I liked about the club was the ability to move up in rank rather quickly. I consider this an appropriate reward for perseverance and dedication to the game. I resent having played enough games to make it to Major General only to see myself go in an instant - an UNINFORMED instant - back down to sergeant.

I want to make clear that I don't play for rank or points or anything other than entertainment value, and this won't stop me from playing. But this really is a s****y decision.