• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TOAW3?
07-12-2006, 10:41 PM,
Off Topic  TOAW3?
Does anyone here also play TOAW? I am thinking about getting TOAW3, and my question is, I guess - is it worth learning this game when you are already playing Panzer Campaigns? Is it very similar? More complex, or less? Would a PzC player feel at home with TOAW right away? Reasons for playing both engines, if any?

I know there is a TOAW ladder, but I would be interested in opinions from PzC players. :rolleyes:
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2006, 12:45 AM,
RE: TOAW3?
I bought TOAW3 when it came out because I had heard so much about the previous versions over the years that I had to try it. On Glenn's site there is still an article that does a good job of explaining the differences between PzC and the old TOAW versions. I would think that it is still relevant to TOAW3.

I have played a couple of the smaller scenarios & I'm still trying to get a handle on the combat system, which is quite different from PzC. On the positive side, TOAW3 has a complete editor so there's a wide range of scenarios covering many different time frames & locations. The guys who reissued TOAW3 have promised to make regular, free updates to the system & so far they have kept to their word. 2 have been issued as of today.

On the not-so-positive side, the units are not so transparent in that I can quickly get unit in PzC whereas in TOAW3 one has to go through several click & screens to get full unit info. I never did care for the use of colored "bars" or "squares" to get info on a unit's condition. Keep in mind that this is more of a personal preference issue than any game design fault.

I think TOAW3 is a good complement to PzC. PzC still rules in the PBEM field as far as I'm concerned, but I think I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of TOAW3 when I want to play an operational level game of a battle that PzC doesn't cover.
07-13-2006, 07:50 AM,
RE: TOAW3?
My experience is that TOAW has a really good A/I for some fun solo play when you got nothing better to do. von Egan