• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HQ Ranges
07-12-2006, 05:08 AM,
HQ Ranges
If I can't have all troops and HQs within the proper command ranges of their higher HQs, what's better--having a lower HQ out of range and the next higher within range, or the other way round?

The actual situation is at Anzio, with British 1 Infantry Division fighting at the Factory and Lucas fixed at Anzio. Should the British brigades be within range of their divisional HQ, but the divisional HQ out of range of corps HQ--or the brigades out of range of divisional HQ, but divisional HQ within range of corps HQ? Because both can't be done ... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any insight that anyone can provide. I guess it's a question of math ... a subject in which I am notoriously inept. :smoke:
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2006, 07:55 AM,
RE: HQ Ranges
I'd be inclined to leave the least number of units to be affected because where the chain breaks, those units down from the lowest HQ will be impacted.

Glenn
Send this user an email
07-12-2006, 10:25 PM,
Thanks, Glenn. Not sure I understand your answer; are you saying the break should be as low in the chain-of-command as possible? So that I should leave division within range of corps, but the brigades out of range of division, rather than the other way round?

Or does it maybe not matter at all, if the chain is broken at even one point? Because ultimately the brigades end up being without a link to corps, whereever the break is? :conf:
07-13-2006, 01:22 AM,
I am not sure how it ties in with Glenn's comment, but here is my take on HQs overall - but note I am not positive of everything, it is more along the lines of "I think this is what is happening in detail but am not sure".

I think the biggest impact higher level HQs have on the ones below them is to help them pass a command test. If the higher level one fails to pass, or is out of command range, the lower one is not penalized as such, but it must pass the command test on its own or it will be out of command. On the other hand, if it is within range of its next higher HQ that does pass its (higher HQ's) command test, then even if the lower HQ fails its command test, it can get a second chance to be in command from this higher level HQ.

What does this mean, if I have it right? Then having any HQ OUT OF RANGE will not help any subordinate HQs or units. So moving an HQ to be closer to its next higher HQ but leave it out of range of its subordinates is useless as it means that HQ cannot help those subordinates anyway, even if it ends up in command itself. So if this is even fairly correct, then best to keep the higher level HQs as close as possible to the units/HQs below them, or if can't be near all then near the most important ones, and not worry about the higher level HQ distance if the higher one can't move closer.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
07-13-2006, 01:47 AM,
Ricky B Wrote:Then having any HQ OUT OF RANGE will not help any subordinate HQs or units. So moving an HQ to be closer to its next higher HQ but leave it out of range of its subordinates is useless as it means that HQ cannot help those subordinates anyway, even if it ends up in command itself.

That sounds very plausible to me, at least. Thanks! :smoke:
07-13-2006, 02:41 AM,
Dont fight whith units that are out of command range of its superior HQs unless necesary for some reason. Above all if supply is a problem (example: EA'42 as axis). In this case specially, but everytime it's posible, I would say, keep your HQs at a distance equal to half the HQ's range or less (the smaller the distance the better).

Also as Ricky has explained it would be useless to have a divisional HQ in command but its subordinates out of range of it. So... the unit (hq and subordinates) always together.
07-13-2006, 03:56 AM,
RE:��HQ Ranges
von Waldenburg Wrote:Dont fight whith units that are out of command range of its superior HQs unless necesary for some reason. Above all if supply is a problem (example: EA'42 as axis). In this case specially, but everytime it's posible, I would say, keep your HQs at a distance equal to half the HQ's range or less (the smaller the distance the better).

Also as Ricky has explained it would be useless to have a divisional HQ in command but its subordinates out of range of it. So... the unit (hq and subordinates) always together.

Info to all here that this is an area of the game where we are looking to make some changes, so look for a possible rule change in this area to strength what von Waldenburgh is saying - that is pay attention to fighting with units that are out of command.

Glenn
Send this user an email
07-13-2006, 11:41 AM,
Here's how I see it. If a single battalion is out of command, alone as it were, then it has a 1 chance in 6 of re-ordering, i.e. it passes its command test, with a "dice roll" one chance in six. If it is within command range of its next highest HQ (Brigade), and that HQ passes its test, then the unit has 2 chances in 6 to re-order. If the then next highest HQ (Division) passes its test, the odds of re-ordering go up to 3 in 6. Then comes Corps, (4 in 6) and Army (5 in 6) provided they all pass their command test, those HQ's with highest morale having the best chance to pass the test (A=100%, B=5 out of 6, C 4 out of 6 chances to pass, and so on down to F, 1 in 6). All the HQ units, from Army down to Brigade must be within each other's shaded command range, hot key K. von Egan:soap::rolleyes::whis:
07-13-2006, 05:19 PM,
Of course, ideally everyone should be within command range of his superior. Only sometimes it just isn't feasible. For instance, Anzio, with VI Corps HQ fixed down at the sea and a rather small radius, cannot be fought at the historically contested places (the Factory, Campoleone etc.) with everyone within range. The ranges just don't suffice. :rolleyes:
07-14-2006, 02:48 AM,
Sorry Herr Kaiser, didn't mean to be pedantic, hence the soapbox. This exposition was for beginners as well, but also answers your original question, to wit: it's better to keep units within the command range of their immediate superior HQ, starting at the lowest level. von Egan