• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The awful scenario rating system
07-09-2006, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2006, 07:03 PM by Hobbes.)
The awful scenario rating system
Hi folks, this is my regular rant about the new rating system. I do this every 3 months or so and it always gets ignored. I will continue to rant every 3 months anyway.

The new scenario rating system is dreadful. It doesn't work. The system we had before worked. Hundreds of games were logged and you could tell before playing a game whether it was balanced or not.

New scenarios were also displayed and you could tell if there was a chance of them being balanced - or just take a chance on a new scenario.

Now you have a rating that makes no sense. Some scenarios even have a negative rating! As a current scenario designer I can say that it really annoys me that a scenario can get an awful overall rating even though everyone that plays it gives it a good rating.

Does nobody care about this?

The good thing about the new system is that you can read peoples comments. That's it. Everything else about it is bad.

See you in 3 months.
Cheers, Chris

Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2006, 11:18 AM,
RE: The awful scenario rating system
Yeah......what Chris said..........altho I do think somebody somewhere really cares :-)
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
07-09-2006, 10:32 PM,
LOL! Good one Earl! ;)
07-09-2006, 11:36 PM,
07-10-2006, 12:18 AM,
The rating for WF "Buying Battle Experience" for example is negative.
But it's not just the negative ones that are a problem - many of the others don't tally up.

WF "Cross of Lorraine" is rated at 2.41 however it's 8 ratings of
5 5 5 4 4 3 2 2 = 30/8 = 3.75

A a designer It is a little worrying that people may look at the 2.41 rating think that the scenario stinks and play something else. A lot of work goes into these scenarios! :)

As a player I want to know how good a scenario is and I can't tell quickly with these incorrect values.

I don't want a new rating system I just want this one to work.

Cheers, Chris

07-10-2006, 12:26 AM,
Umbro has implemented the new system, but he seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know his whereabouts?
It would be nice if the bugs in the rating system could be fixed.
I think it's a great system; it just needs to work correctly.

Huib