• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Anti-Cheat Features in TOAW III
08-16-2006, 10:44 PM,
RE: Anti-Cheat Features in TOAW III
I think it's up to the players, as to whether they want to allow a certain number of reloads. In the game of Market Garden I'm playing with Akhenaton, neither of us are getting reload messages, and I know both of us are saving, and coming back later to finish a move, ie, we don't complete it in one session. I think we need some more experience with the new version, and some more input from other players; also, if everyone will pay close attention to what they're doing, maybe we can pin down exactly what's going wrong. The problem, Kru, is that in a large scenario, allowing five or six reloads can really tilt the game, if a player uses those to re-run a few critical combats.

Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2006, 01:49 AM,
just an idea

Would it be so hard to force toaw-pbem engine to save your game only over the web in a specified website (fttp with psw or https maybe) ? saves are pretty small and multiple reload would be easily spotted.

cheers
Luca
08-17-2006, 09:45 AM,
Hmmmm, interesting idea, but I'm not smart enough to evaluate it; I'll forward it upstairs; Ha ha, no good idea goes unpunished!
09-10-2006, 10:14 AM,
RE:��Anti-Cheat Features in TOAW III
09-23-2006, 01:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 01:15 PM by RERomine.)
09-23-2006, 11:30 PM,
Thanks for those insights. I agree completely that although making a game cheat-proof is theoretically possible, it may not be cost-effective given the current cycle of game production/marketing. At least we're better off with TOAW III than many of our older standbys, like War in Russia.

I think the undo is helpful; I hardly ever use it, but occasionally I or an opponent will, and I don't think most people object to a very occasional use; but the "warning" beep is what tells us it's only occasional. Frankly, if you've spent 50 hours on a game, and then accidentally move a fortified unit off an important victory hex by accident (which can definitely happen!), you ought to be able to undo it. This isn't FIDE championship chess. The undo is banned for most tournaments, but for non-tournament games, the opponents can agree to reasonable use. You program for a living, and may be attracted to absolutes; I work with people for a living, and find that being reasonable often pays dividends!

Reloading games and old positions and replaying moves are all potentially much more disruptive to fair play, than using the undo button. The other player never sees what's "undone"; it doesn't affect one or two units, but a whole series of combat resolutions; etc. And really, "I'm going to tell Mom" can be rather effective, if Mom's willing to bring smoke. But the most effective solution is to not play the offender again.

TOAW III is new, but I'm now in my fourth game, and in three of them, neither side has seen the "reload" messages. It does appear that the system is working, more or less as planned.

09-24-2006, 01:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2006, 12:50 AM by RERomine.)
09-24-2006, 08:24 AM,
The "beep" occurs during the "replay" of your opponent's move, or at least, it did during COW and prior versions. Perhaps in TOAW III the beep has been replaced by the message.

Thanks for the further insights, and good gaming!
10-01-2006, 09:48 AM,
The beep is the same in TOAW3 (at least for me) he just isn't hearing it or the sound isn't being routed to whatever sound output is hooked up.

The message is the same too, in the little box under the replay window, where it shows what unit is moving (or reads, "invisible"), if the undo is used then a message appears there, something along the lines of "Your opponent used the undo button" (don't remember the exact language.)

I've found that sometimes new players use the undo button. "Oh wait, I better not do that...." Not out of any attempt to recon, but rather thinking it must be okay since the button's there. I introduced a fellow to the game, and he was happily using that button quite a bit, until one day he said, "man this guy seems really p.o'd that I'm doing that, what's up with that??" After I explained how it could be used to "recon" and that it is usually considered taboo in email, he was like "OH!" He didn't have any malice aforethought, just thought that is was normal to use it.

Someone said after all, it isn't FIDE....WHAT???? Heck no, its chess on STEROIDS :-) I don't have any problem with the occassional undo, but personally I live with any touch-move I make...I figure if I slip, its just that much more life-like (things don't always go perfectly on the battlefield)

But, the dumping to desktop on a save to me, is just annoying as all heck. Leave the message, just don't dump it to the DT. I save routinely, after an hour on FiTE I couldn't handle a power surge or whatever wiping out a move like that.

Well, Cheers!

cheers

08-23-2007, 10:31 PM,
I have recently installed TOAW III on a flash drive. The reason is so I can play it at work during rain days and there is nothing to do, work wise. So I tested it using the Tutorial scenario and ended up getting this message:

"You or your opponent are using pirated software"

YARRRR! :pirate:

So now I need to ask my opponents if playing against a pirate is ok. :rolleyes:

BTW: I am no pirate. I bought it fair and square from a DL at Matrix. cheers