• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Hey Valor! Monte Cassino
06-07-2006, 01:32 PM,
Hey Valor! Monte Cassino
Valor,

What part of Poland are you from? My Grandfather's last name was Matrenko (sp?) and he and his two brothers (my great uncles) were from Lwow. My Grandfather came over to this country when he was 15 years old and eventually joined the US Army for WW1. I never got to meet him, but I understand he was quite an interesting fellow. His brothers, the youngest of whom had just finished his mandatory conscription service with the Polish Army in August 1939, ended up in the Soviet occupied sector and were both arrested by the communists in 1940. Luckily for them both, they ended up fighting with the British in the Polish Free Army. Both were in Italy and helped in the capture of Monte Cassino. I met the youngest of the two, and enjoyed talking with him about his experiences. Congratulations on your selection to be the assistant moderator for the CS board!!!! Got time for a game or two later?

Wyatt
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2006, 11:40 PM,
RE: Hey Valor! Monte Cassino
Hello, Wyatt

That's great story. Unfortunately in Polish WW2 history there is a lot of such situations... I'm glad to hear that both brothers of your grandpa survived visit to our "Allies"...

Going back to your initial question I live in Bydgoszcz in Kujawy region which is some 250 km NW from Warsaw along Vistula river bank.

I would love to cross sword with you, but I'm a bit overloaded right now. I have some games delayed and a Tournament to take care of... sorry gentlemen!!! Cry

...and an Jedi Master to be helped :P

I hope, Wyat that we will stay in touch and will be able to arrange something soon cheers

All the best

Slawek
"We do not beg for Freedom, we fight for it!"

http://swalencz.w.interia.pl
Quote this message in a reply