• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Watch replays, yes or no?
08-10-2022, 06:49 AM,
Watch replays, yes or no?
It has always seemed logical to me to watch every replay in a PBEM game, it provides priceless intel on the movements of your opponents forces and seeing the fire results is a good indication of the strength of units you are facing, it can tell you if a XXX strength unit is a company or battalion for example, also you can sometimes see flanking units moving that are then out of LOS when you opponents turn ends.

However over the years I have played some players who don't watch the replays, one reason I was given was that the time spent watching replays was better invested playing more PBEM turns and they were happy to accept the fact they were playing at a disadvantage by missing out on the intel that replays provide.

So what's the view out there? Watching replays seems a no brainer to me, but playing these games for 20 years has taught me there are lots of differing opinions out there........... Wink
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2022, 08:36 AM,
RE: Watch replays, yes or no?
I always watch replays. The only time I did not was when playing the France '40 campaign game, when the replay took ages.
08-10-2022, 09:45 AM,
I also watch replays, unless playing a huge scenario. In that case, I may start the replay and then suspend it when I start to get impatient.
Quote:Me and General McAulliffe decided to move I Company up on the line. That is, if you agree.
- SGT Kinnie to PFC Holley, Battleground, 1949
08-10-2022, 09:51 AM,
I'm just finishing up a game with someone who said that they don't watch replays, and it shows.

Frankly, it is detracting from the fun of the game for me. I want a challenging opponent, and someone who doesn't see how my forces are maneuvering to surround them and react accordingly just isn't it.
08-10-2022, 08:17 PM,
Definitely always watch. Even the large scenarios, just make sure to have some popcorn ready ahead of time! Pop Corn
08-10-2022, 10:01 PM,
I watch if its a small scenario. If its a large campaign I record then watch the recording so I can fast forward or review bits of the replay. 

I try to give my opponent a rough idea of my move so that if they are watching the replay they know when to have a coffee break. 

Ian
08-10-2022, 10:22 PM,
I reckon a log function that records the actions of an opponent's turn would be really helpful for large scenarios, so that a player can check the highlights of the turn without actually watching the whole replay... Something like an enhanced Command Report.
08-10-2022, 11:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2022, 11:17 PM by Outlaw Josey Wales.)
What commander has ever had that much intel or replays to watch? Especially, with all the time he wants to make a decision. Answer - None.
08-10-2022, 11:40 PM,
I keep my pbem game numbers down, normally 2-4 games in various eras.

For the Black Powder eras I watch the replay as you need to spot large flanking moves.  The larger WWI and WWII games normally have a large enough unit density that it is seldom a problem and for those like Smolensk where it could be the unit density is not so bad that watching the replay is a problem.

Also I agree with Outlaw Josey Wales on the amount of intel we get in the games.  Have played several completely blind scenarios at conventions where the GM has two tables and players only see what they could actually spot based on the conditions.  Have found these to be very enjoyable and much more realistic especially regarding the level of casualties being much more historical.
08-11-2022, 01:53 AM,
(08-10-2022, 10:01 PM)Plain Ian Wrote: If its a large campaign I record then watch the recording so I can fast forward or review bits of the replay.

How do you record the replays of larger games, please?