• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTCS East Front: Panzerblitz: Grossdeutschland scnenario set now available
08-26-2021, 10:56 PM,
RE: JTCS East Front: Panzerblitz: Grossdeutschland scnenario set now available
(08-26-2021, 10:48 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I would say that to tweak it a bit would be compare the scale.  Supposed to be the same scale, Platoon level.  Units will hardly be a problem.  Compare the size of a hex and then the amount of time for a turn.  There are probably other comparisons.  But, those are the big three.

Unit are easy.  One PZIV and 3 Panthers computes to one PZIV and 3 Panthers.

A hex in PL/PB is 1000m and CS is 500.  You are going to have to make the map twice as large.

Same with time.  One turn in PL/PB could equal two turns in CS.

Just a thought.

Both the PanzerBlitz / Panzer Leader / Arab Israeli Wars boardgame format and the JTCS engine actually have 250m hexes and 6 minute turns per rule books / user manuals, something I am sure you knew once you've had another morning cuppa  Helmet Wink

That said, the victory conditions play quite differently, and there's a ton of other small changes, like JTCS having two fire missions for most units per turn to PB/PL/AIW etc. 

Also, JTCS order of battle is much more detailed to these boardgames, so there's that too. 

This all means the conversions are not easy to get one-to-one, if even possible. But they can be great fun. Or not. Each to their own.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2021, 11:37 PM,
(08-26-2021, 07:23 PM)Crossroads Wrote: Therefore: Ed, converting a boardgame scenario to computer is never a waste of time. Nor playing one, especially when you've tried the boardgame, too.

I beg to differ. It is a waste if your time is limited or you want to play something balanced and fun?

I did not say converting them to JTCS has no value. It brings back the nostalgia of playing Pz Blitz/leader. As an archive of board game scenarios I have no problem. Just don't tell me to play them in mirror. It's not what it is designed for?

And John, to your point, I think that the scenarios would benefit from the tweaking of increasing the total turns, adjusting the size of the maps and reviewing the victory conditions in regards to JTCS.

Especially, when there are many units in them. At that point "target rich" just becomes silly.

I'm only saying this from playing many of them. Since we exist as a club playing H2H. I mostly look at it from that perspective.

Farmer

HSL
08-27-2021, 12:12 AM,
(08-26-2021, 11:37 PM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote:
(08-26-2021, 07:23 PM)Crossroads Wrote: Therefore: Ed, converting a boardgame scenario to computer is never a waste of time. Nor playing one, especially when you've tried the boardgame, too.

I beg to differ. It is a waste if your time is limited or you want to play something balanced and fun?

I did not say converting them to JTCS has no value. It brings back the nostalgia of playing Pz Blitz/leader. As an archive of board game scenarios I have no problem. Just don't tell me to play them in mirror. It's not what it is designed for?

And John, to your point, I think that the scenarios would benefit from the tweaking of increasing the total turns, adjusting the size of the maps and reviewing the victory conditions in regards to JTCS.

Especially, when there are many units in them. At that point "target rich" just becomes silly.

I'm only saying this from playing many of them. Since we exist as a club playing H2H. I mostly look at it from that perspective.

Farmer

HSL

Good point Ed, thanks! Wink
08-27-2021, 01:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2021, 01:45 AM by zap.)
Balancing these scenarios would be of great value to the club. Inspired! anyone? 

here's a point : Non of these scenarios that are converted for JTCS play will find there way into East Front III. And that is because from the balance/conversion "stand point" they won't pass muster. They would need major work to fit.  So how much value this addition to the clubs data base is linked to them being reworked. Reworked, these additions increase in value.

My comment on players being of different levels of competency: A more balanced scenario allows a player  to measure where they are skill "wise". I think we understand there will always be a difference in players skill level. A more balanced scenario allows for a more objective evaluation of where you are in that regards. 
Also, two lesser skilled playing against each other a balanced scenario would be much more enjoyable experience for both.  Which in turn, would keep their interest up in being in the club and continue playing the game they love.
A balanced scenario makes the experience better for both skilled and unskilled alike.
08-27-2021, 02:05 AM,
I have played all on the Panzerblitz and Panzerleader converted scenarios from both sides multiple times verses players, verses the computer and blind verses myself. 

By in large they are an unmitigated disaster being lopsided and unplayable. 

Many of the scenarios have victory levels that are unobtainable by the first side.  

The most glaring example is the number of scenarios were the first side couple destroy all enemy units, capture all VP hexes and lose no units and still get a major loss due the VP points being way to high. 

I give props for the effort and time to convert these, but not for the finished product.
08-27-2021, 04:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2021, 05:03 PM by Crossroads.)
Granted, the victory conditions do not translate well at all. East Front is no PanzerBlitz nor West Front Panzer Leader.

One day, when we are there, if we get there, once the WW2 is available with the new CS engine, and Event Engine in particular, these boardgames situations can be perhaps converted close to as they are.

For instance:

--

The Allied player wins by establishing and maintaining a road from the West edge to the East edge of the playing area. The road must not have any German units on or adjacent to it at the end of the game. The road may be as long and devious as the Allied player desires. The German player wins by preventing the Allied player's victory conditions.

...or...

The Allies wins if they exits at least 30 units off of the East edge of the playing board by the end of the game. The Germans win if they prevent the Allied player's victory conditions.

...or...

Allied: Receive 1 point for each Allied unit exited off the East edge of Board A by the end of the game. 5 points for control of each town on Board A at the end of the game. German: Receive 1 point for each Allied unit still on the board at the end of the game. 5 points for control of each town on Board A at the end of the game. Side with the highest point total at the end of the game wins.

--

Impossible to convert with JTCS. Something that can be verified with the Event Engine as it will be available with CS Vietnam. That's pretty exciting come to think of it.

For now enjoy these scenarios for what they are. Or not.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
08-27-2021, 10:35 AM,
Excellent points Crossroads and thank you!! Wink
08-29-2021, 07:16 PM,
To compare notes, here's Situation 1 from the PanzerBlitz Grossdeutschland situation set by James Johnson.

As you can see, the original victory conditions, typical to how many of the PB and PL situations are set, are mostly not interested in unit losses. With CSEE, we can emulate these victory conditions with future releases, for better boardgames conversions.

[Image: DD4E40E711DD4F1D9489E2D7E2FA1802.jpg]
Visit us at CSLegion.com
08-31-2021, 03:35 PM,
Can someone guide me on how to install these maps?
08-31-2021, 06:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 06:41 PM by Crossroads.)
(08-31-2021, 03:35 PM)chee006 Wrote: Can someone guide me on how to install these maps?

First, download the zip archive, unzip it to a temporary location of your choice.

Then, copy all the files to your East Front folder of your JTCS install, in my case: C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\East Front

Finally, locate the three files at your East Front folder, as listed belove, 

• GD Pbz18.map
• GD Pbz18.org
• GD Pbz18.scn

... and cut-paste (move) those to your West Front folder. 

Finally, launch the game, in Scenario Selection screen, sort by Designer, and as it happens the new GD scenarios are listed there first under Alan's name. 
Visit us at CSLegion.com