• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Suggestions (and pipe dreams)
07-20-2021, 03:11 AM,
My 2 Cents  Suggestions (and pipe dreams)
Every now and then I have some thoughts about how to expand and improve the PzC and MC series of games. Everyone I think likes to day dream, and just speaking for myself, I believe we all have our own pet Campaigns, Battles, and theories.

Of course, JTS/WDS have their own priorities, and to their credit are very good about security and not raising expectations too high when it comes to discussing what's being worked on.

That being said, here are some of my "pipe dreams" :

Revamp Normandy '44 by enlarging the map, with a new eastern boundary running (from north to south) in a rough line Dieppe >Rouen>Evreux>Druex. Extend the southern boundary so it runs (from west to east) in a rough line Avranches>Argentan>Druex. These aren't massive increases in size, but do open things up so the later operations like Cobra can be modeled, and there is more room for maneuver.

In conjunction with the above map changes:

Simplify the N'44 OOB or provide a second one where all of the support companies and platoons on both sides are factored into the existing battalions and companies. It seems like a 50-50 split among various titles in the series where some designers do this and others opt for more detail. It's the old playability vs realism conflict really.

Bulge '44: Use the France '40 Gold map as a template, and extend the scope of things west and north so that Antwerp is in play. This also would enable all of 21st Army Group, and German 15th and 1st FJ Armies to be depicted. No need to go further south since "Nordwind" was a sideshow really. I do realize that the Germans ever getting to Antwerp is/was a stretch of the imagination, but if Liege and the Meuse are shown in the original, why not?

The Pacific: Consider doing the Philippines. I can think of maybe 3 titles that might be candidates: Luzon '42, Luzon '44-45, and Leyte '44-45. Two of these could share the same map.

Korea: Using the K '85 map as a base extend it north to the Yalu River, and south to Pusan so that the early mobile stages of The Korean War can be modeled from a time period June/July 1950 to early 1951. This would most likely require 2 - 3, maybe even 4 separate campaigns, since trying to do a "Grand Campaign" would really be stretching things for number of turns. As flexible as the system is, that might be too much. At the least The Pusan Perimeter, Inchon, the advance to the Yalu, and the Chosin Reservoir battles could be depicted.

Others: How about Poland '39, or maybe Vistula to Berlin 1944-45?

As I said, just some dreams. We all have them for future titles I'll bet. What are some of yours? Might any of these or any others become a reality? Who knows, but it's fun to dream and hope.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2021, 04:44 AM,
RE: Suggestions (and pipe dreams)
I agree that a new Korea title covering the mobile stages would make an enjoyable title.  Wink
07-20-2021, 05:44 PM,
I would like a command view, similar to the Grigsby titles. Where HQs are connected via differently colored lines to their subordinate units and their HQ.
07-20-2021, 08:43 PM,
(07-20-2021, 05:44 PM)Phas Wrote: I would like a command view, similar to the Grigsby titles. Where HQs are connected via differently colored lines to their subordinate units and their HQ.

Yes! I've been wishing for something like this for a long time. As well as the option to have stats printed on the 2D counters...
07-20-2021, 10:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2021, 10:26 PM by JAFFA.)
Ahh, the old (pipe dream) question, this is a question that has been discussed many times on the forum.

The new france 40 map could encompass a lot of new titles, even a retreat to the west wall scenario.

.jpg   The West Wall 1944.jpg (Size: 142.1 KB / Downloads: 20)

Then you have the Mius demo which would have made a great title. (was started but dropped) 

.png   Karte_-_Offensivplanungen_der_Süd-_und_Südwestfront_1943.png (Size: 313.72 KB / Downloads: 13)

Then smolensk 43, (this might be looked at in the future)

.jpg   SMOLENSK 43 ops.jpg (Size: 280.55 KB / Downloads: 15)

Then you could also use the first world war maps for panzer campaign titles
With these you could make vistula, poland, seelow heights. 

.jpg   the Oder..JPG (Size: 388.29 KB / Downloads: 16)

.jpg   seelow heights.JPG (Size: 121.58 KB / Downloads: 15)

Then for completely new ideas, you could kuban (caucasus), Bend on the dnepr, the courland pocket. 

Alway fun to discuss possible new titles, hopefully there are a few cooking away  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
07-20-2021, 10:52 PM,
French Indochina in PzCs or PBs or both.
07-21-2021, 01:15 AM,
I would love to see 1914 finished in the WWI games. I would like to see games on the East Front battles of 1915, and a couple of titles, at least, on the fighting in 1918.
07-21-2021, 01:51 AM,
Also Jison's Mapmod graphics becoming the new standard.
07-21-2021, 02:08 AM,
(07-20-2021, 10:26 PM)JAFFA Wrote: Ahh, the old (pipe dream) question, this is a question that has been discussed many times on the forum.

The new france 40 map could encompass a lot of new titles, even a retreat to the west wall scenario.

Then you have the Mius demo which would have made a great title. (was started but dropped) 

Then smolensk 43, (this might be looked at in the future)

Then you could also use the first world war maps for panzer campaign titles
With these you could make vistula, poland, seelow heights. 

Then for completely new ideas, you could kuban (caucasus), Bend on the dnepr, the courland pocket. 

Alway fun to discuss possible new titles, hopefully there are a few cooking away  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Hadn't considered that (the WW1 maps) it's a great idea! I imagine they would require some reworking when it comes to urban density and road networks, but the templates would be there. A whole bunch of titles might be made that way.

I know for certain the maps can be modified if one has access to the editor (I understand it is a chore to learn and get used to...rumor has it that it's based on Tiller's original map editor from the old (ancient) Campaign Series).

True story: Last year (I think it was in October/November), "Tazaaron" the creator of the Danube Front '85 scenario "Bolt Out of The Blue" asked for testers to help him with a version 10.0 of the scenario. I volunteered, along with a few others and upon receiving the files, discovered the "Germany" map had been enlarged (all of the black areas had been filled in) increasing the play area from the west bank of the Rhine all the way to beyond the Polish border. Aaron inferred that he had access to the editor, or maybe I'm wrong and someone with access did the map enlargement for him. Either way, it is possible and was done. Sadly, I haven't heard from Aaron since then, and to my knowledge neither has anyone else. Too bad. He had some really good ideas, and the map alone was worth the price of admission.

On another topic, I swore by the Jison graphics when they first came out, but lately I'm satisfied with the Gold graphics myself. What I do miss is the Volcano Man unit picture sets....he seems to have taken that website down.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
07-21-2021, 02:44 AM,
I like to see more modern campaigns like:

Battles in Vietnam Example Operation Silver Bayonet.
Soviet - Afghan War
Gulf War - Desert Storm & Iraqi Freedom