• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Please Suggest Me A New SB Title
09-04-2020, 05:26 AM,
Please Suggest Me A New SB Title
Hello, 

I was directed here as I've found out I really love the SB series and the gameplay it represents. I really enjoy the feeling of being down on the ground with your team in the middle of all the action. 

I've tried War in the East and other such titles, but they feel too abstract with all their numbers and size, anyway!

I started with the Grenada Demo (I really love this setting) and I bought the Soviet-Afghan War. Now I am a born again Soviet Citizen but I don't quite enjoy the Soivet-Afghan as much as I wanted, I think I just don't know enough about the Taliban/Mujahid units yet and need to do some research. 

So far I've been looking at:

First World War - My only issue is there might be too many units to keep the same SB feeling? But I really enjoy the WWI setting

Pacific - I'm watching 'The Pacific' Series again so it fits, plus it has the Africa At War mod which sounds awesome!

Korean War

Vietnam - either of them. 

Just looking for anything recommendations if you've tried the titles, which you prefer etc. 

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2020, 05:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2020, 05:47 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: Please Suggest Me A New SB Title
Welcome aboard to the Blitz!

I am not a big fan of WWI so I will let someone else talk about that title.

As for the others that you listed, they are all winners in my book.

If you are a ASL guy, you will like this series. (At least all the other old ASL guys have, so far! )

It is a very addictive series, as you will find out, especially if you play these games via PBEM.

JTS games are also very art mod friendly so if you want to change up the look that you see, you can easily mix and match different art mods to get the look that you desire.

Also, make sure to check out the TF Echo-4 website as it is your "one-stop-shop" for everything Squad Battles.

https://tfe4.wordpress.com/

The Blitz also has a SB mod section located here:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...hp?fid=303

Feel free to ask any questions that may come up.   Mex Big Grin

Good Luck!
09-04-2020, 06:49 AM,
Welcome to the best little game in gaming.

I am a confirmed SqB addict. I have been playing PBEM for over eight years and love the series. It really has it all. Big scenarios, little firefights - you name it. I often have times where professional life keeps me quite full, so big monster games wherein I get to rewrite the history of Europe are too much for me.

Perhaps the biggest complaint against SqB is that it is too limited operationally. But that's what I like about it. If you can get into your head that you are a company level commander, and not wearing General's stars, you can get into the spirit of the game. SqB is at a level where Colonel, has told major to take the bloody hill, and now major has gathered you and maybe a few other captains and lieutenants to "GET THE JOB DONE, and no screwing AROUND this time." He ain't interested in your grand-tactical opinion that perhaps we ought bypass this particular stronghold and move to threaten the enemy's supply line thereby forcing him to withdraw. He politely replies, "Get your butt in gear and keep moving, Lt. Dyke."

I only recently bought FWW, so can't say much to it, yet. Best advice I have seen is buy in the theater and period that interests you.

I like PacWar because it covers SO MUCH. IIRC 1937 to 1945, even a Soviet vs Japan scenario! Red Victory is often acclaimed as "THE BEST" SqB game. Curiously, it is not my favorite as it is rather AFV heavy, and that is one area SqB does not do so well. And maybe it's because I always get smoked when I play RV!!

AOTR is great - but it is pretty pro-Wehrmacht. The Sovs have a tough go in most of the scenarios, especially the stock ones. One you did not mention but is a real gem is Winter War. Well researched, late in the life-cycle of the engine, WW is infantry centered but still gives some neat toys with which to play (SKIS!!) Dien Bien Phu is another often overlooked one but is VERY well built with lots of interesting scenarios.

Bottom line - select one that interests you and advert here for PBEM opps. Many of us are decent chaps, most are willing to help a serious newcomer to get oriented. Flash-in-the-pan guys are our bane, so some of the true vets are hesitant to take on newcomers. But most who come will find a few regulars and away you go!

Welcome and Enjoy the best un-sung game in Tiller's line (my own opinion, of course).

Steve
09-04-2020, 07:13 AM,
(09-04-2020, 05:41 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Welcome aboard to the Blitz!

I am not a big fan of WWI so I will let someone else talk about that title.

As for the others that you listed, they are all winners in my book.

If you are a ASL guy, you will like this series. (At least all the other old ASL guys have, so far! )

It is a very addictive series, as you will find out, especially if you play these games via PBEM.

JTS games are also very art mod friendly so if you want to change up the look that you see, you can easily mix and match different art mods to get the look that you desire.

Also, make sure to check out the TF Echo-4 website as it is your "one-stop-shop" for everything Squad Battles.

https://tfe4.wordpress.com/

The Blitz also has a SB mod section located here:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...hp?fid=303

Feel free to ask any questions that may come up.   Mex Big Grin

Good Luck!

Thanks for the welcome!

I've already downloaded some map graphics mod for the Soviet Afghan game and wow! It looks fantastic! Quite a lot of stuff on the mod site and page to keep me busy.
09-04-2020, 07:18 AM,
(09-04-2020, 06:49 AM)Stejones82 Wrote: Welcome to the best little game in gaming.  

I am a confirmed SqB addict.  I have been playing PBEM for over eight years and love the series.  It really has it all.  Big scenarios, little firefights - you name it.  I often have times where professional life keeps me quite full, so big monster games wherein I get to rewrite the history of Europe are too much for me.  

Perhaps the biggest complaint against SqB is that it is too limited operationally.  But that's what I like about it.  If you can get into your head that you are a company level commander, and not wearing General's stars, you can get into the spirit of the game.  SqB is at a level where Colonel, has told major to take the bloody hill, and now major has gathered you and maybe a few other captains and lieutenants to "GET THE JOB DONE, and no screwing AROUND this time."  He ain't interested in your grand-tactical opinion that perhaps we ought bypass this particular stronghold and move to threaten the enemy's supply line thereby forcing him to withdraw.  He politely replies, "Get your butt in gear and keep moving, Lt. Dyke."

I only recently bought FWW, so can't say much to it, yet.  Best advice I have seen is buy in the theater and period that interests you.  

I like PacWar because it covers SO MUCH.  IIRC 1937 to 1945, even a Soviet vs Japan scenario! Red Victory is often acclaimed as "THE BEST" SqB game.  Curiously, it is not my favorite as it is rather AFV heavy, and that is one area SqB does not do so well. And maybe it's because I always get smoked when I play RV!!

AOTR is great - but it is pretty pro-Wehrmacht.  The Sovs have a tough go in most of the scenarios, especially the stock ones.  One you did not mention but is a real gem is Winter War.  Well researched, late in the life-cycle of the engine, WW is infantry centered but still gives some neat toys with which to play (SKIS!!)  Dien Bien Phu is another often overlooked one but is VERY well built with lots of interesting scenarios.

Bottom line - select one that interests you and advert here for PBEM opps.  Many of us are decent chaps, most are willing to help a serious newcomer to get oriented.  Flash-in-the-pan guys are our bane, so some of the true vets are hesitant to take on newcomers.  But most who come will find a few regulars and away you go!  

Welcome and Enjoy the best un-sung game in Tiller's line (my own opinion, of course).

Steve

Thank you for your reply and information!

I want to learn the game abit before jumping on to PBEM but I was impressed to see a current SB Grenada tournament is going on! For a demo game it is really good and obviously an interesting conflict to cover.

An example on my Soviet Afghan. I was reinforced with 3 helicopters full of troops. I'd read the manual and getting started scenario but I just couldn't figure how to get my guys out of the copper via the ladder and they all got shot down! Ha. I've learnt it now but it was interesting.

I forgot about Winter War. I really enjoyed Panzer Corps and Order of Battle but wanted some more serious so stumbled on JTS, luckily! I feel like I've found my home!

Good to know about some of the late engine games. I'll be around the forums and let you know what I pick up!

Again Thanks!
09-04-2020, 07:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2020, 07:32 AM by Compass Rose.)
I highly suggest you use the program JSGME if you plan on using mods.

It is a very simple program to use.

Info on JSGME can be found here:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=65299

Also, that Demo tournament you mentioned finished a few years ago!   Wink
09-04-2020, 07:35 AM,
(09-04-2020, 05:26 AM)Rigafan Wrote: I really love Red Victory and Eagle's Strike.  Bien Dien Phu was a bit of a disappointment - no 3D.
TodK

Hello, 

I was directed here as I've found out I really love the SB series and the gameplay it represents. I really enjoy the feeling of being down on the ground with your team in the middle of all the action. 

I've tried War in the East and other such titles, but they feel too abstract with all their numbers and size, anyway!

I started with the Grenada Demo (I really love this setting) and I bought the Soviet-Afghan War. Now I am a born again Soviet Citizen but I don't quite enjoy the Soivet-Afghan as much as I wanted, I think I just don't know enough about the Taliban/Mujahid units yet and need to do some research. 

So far I've been looking at:

First World War - My only issue is there might be too many units to keep the same SB feeling? But I really enjoy the WWI setting

Pacific - I'm watching 'The Pacific' Series again so it fits, plus it has the Africa At War mod which sounds awesome!

Korean War

Vietnam - either of them. 

Just looking for anything recommendations if you've tried the titles, which you prefer etc. 

Thanks!
09-04-2020, 07:45 AM,
Allow me to suggest my favorite piece of advice for learning the nuance of the game. Play some games with FOW on and Hot Seat mode. Yes, I realize that means you play both sides. But this is an excellent way to learn how spotting works; how ranged fire works and so on. When you end the German turn and begin the Soviet, notice which German units drop out of sight, which Soviet units 'appear.' Ask why. Use the hotkey "S" (visible hexes). Try long ranged fire from a gun or MG (Always remember the rule about fire effect halved at more than half-range). See how "hold fire" prevents units from divulging their location with auto-defensive fire. There's some really cool things you can learn like this. Only takes a game or three, but you will learn lots.
09-04-2020, 10:22 AM,
(09-04-2020, 07:45 AM)Stejones82 Wrote: Allow me to suggest my favorite piece of advice for learning the nuance of the game.  Play some games with FOW on and Hot Seat mode.  Yes, I realize that means you play both sides.  But this is an excellent way to learn how spotting works; how ranged fire works and so on.  When you end the German turn and begin the Soviet, notice which German units drop out of sight, which Soviet units 'appear.'  Ask why. Use the hotkey "S" (visible hexes). Try long ranged fire from a gun or MG (Always remember the rule about fire effect halved at more than half-range).  See how "hold fire" prevents units from divulging their location with auto-defensive fire.  There's some really cool things you can learn like this.  Only takes a game or three, but you will learn lots.

I have to agree with this Stejones82!!

I'm just learning the system right now having been a Campaign Series player for so many years! Don't get me wrong, Campaign Series is still first on my plate!!!!

There is a lot to be learned from any SB title. It is subtle and I like that in a game. My favorites are the World at War Mod by Warhorse, Tour of Duty 'Nam, Eagles Strike and Red Victory. Gives me hours of enjoyment figuring the ins and outs. Wink
09-04-2020, 07:30 PM,
My favorites so far are Red Victory and Africa at War Mod for Pacific war.Standard Pacific War did not really grab me but the Africa Mod really did,so thematic.Red Victory on the other hand surprised me since I normally prefer West Front Europe scenarios but the Russian/German/Finn conflict really has grown on me.There is a lot of scenario variety in Red Victory,more so than Africa at War,both have great unit variety.Really like both of them.

Other titles I have are Eagles Strike,Dien Bien Phu,Vietnam,Soviet Afghan War.Have not played any of these nearly as much as the first 2 titles.However they all have their strong points and theme is important,you may not like a certain period.Note Soviet Afghan and also Vietnam(not tour) both have great mods as well.Have yet to play these much.See Task Force Echo 4.

Some good videos here,
https://www.youtube.com/c/SmartWargames/videos
particularly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk59RK4-NRI