• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ever drop something?
08-01-2015, 09:14 AM,
Ever drop something?
Ok, we have all seen over time games do strange things developers never intended.

But I have to say this is near the top of my list in decades of PC war gaming.

In The Winter is Coming Tournament, the Winter War scenario 046.Bengtskar Through the Dark Waters, the Soviets land at night on an island held by the Finns that has a strategic lighthouse on it. The plan was based on an infiltration, destruction of the lighthouse, and retreat before Finns response. Russian plans called for a night attack in bad weather.

My esteemed Soviet opponent managed to shoot one of the two lighthouse guards this turn in the unit shown below. This caused the searchlight, which I would assume is fixed on a stand high in the tower to be dropped! Even after the other remaining guard picks it up and puts it back into service, the search light loses 25% effectiveness. Get a new bulb?

The commander of the lighthouse defense in charge of the light house is glaring at the wounded guard. The commander of the lighthouse defense yells above the storm of battle noises in the dark, "I told you to clean the grease off your hands after your completed the weekly maintenance on the light!" Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

The wounded man game piece just frowns back.

Dog Soldier

Are you not entertained?
[Image: Drop%20the%20Searchlight.jpg]
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 09:54 AM,
RE: Ever drop something?
LOL! That's funny! Big Laugh

Just curious, what would have happened if you hadn't picked up the searchlight? Dont Know
08-01-2015, 10:07 AM,
[Image: klink.jpg]
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
08-05-2015, 05:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015, 05:13 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
Maybe the blood from the dead Finn smudged the glass....
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-05-2015, 05:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015, 05:36 AM by Paulinski.)
I think all support weapons loose 25% effectiveness when dropped.

Satchel charge maybe the detonator got muddy - Panzerfaust - sight got bent. Flame thrower - well that one prolly fell in a water extinguishing the pilot flame. Big Grin
08-05-2015, 10:49 PM,
Or maybe the bullet went through the light to kill the Finn!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-06-2015, 12:23 PM,
(08-05-2015, 10:49 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Or maybe the bullet went through the light to kill the Finn!

YIKES! That would be a heck of a shot! Could be too.

My poor Finn artillery is just killing fish. It must be too small an island for them to hit. But not for those big Russian guns. The garrison is very worried about the amazing Russian marksmanship in this game.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-11-2015, 03:52 AM,
I guess the ricochet knocked off some of the wax Big Laugh

Does anybody know if 75% skis are limited in MPs or what effect does it have.

Can skis be picked up and used by the other side? Might be useful for a Russian leader to pick up 75% skis and swoosh around to all his units!

[Image: Skis75.jpg]
08-11-2015, 06:57 AM,
It is all in the way you swoosh......
08-11-2015, 11:42 PM,
Yep, skis can be picked up and enjoyed by the other side.

Good question about the effectiveness. You would think a drop in effectiveness would affect them similar to how it affects vehicles. However the skis are different in that they are carried like a weapon, so my guess is that the effectiveness only affects them in terms of their offensive capabilities, which are effectively nil ... unless you are James Bond.

I do know that if their effectiveness drops to 50% they automatically convert from skis into a snowboard. Wink