• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Have default optional rules changed?
12-30-2020, 02:33 PM,
RE: Have default optional rules changed?
(12-30-2020, 02:10 PM)Strela Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 10:16 AM)Green Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 09:04 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Of all the solutions suggested this is in theory the easiest to implement with the current tools we have, each scenario description would have the suggested list of optional rules to be used included (as in the example above).

However we are 24 titles into the PzC series and those 24 titles have maybe 40 scenarios on average so that equates to almost a 1000 scenario descriptions to be updated!

I have added a fair chunk of those scenarios into the Blitz DB over the years and believe me it is a mind numbingly boring task............

As David says it is doubtful anyone has the time to take on such a huge project, but it would be a fantastic achievement if it was done.

Actually this does not sound like such a big job to me. Tedious, yes, but adding some text to the end of the scenario descriptions is not difficult. 

I would be happy to do this myself and make it available for download if the interest is there. It would be preferable if it was done officially so that updates did not require re-installing my versions each time but it would be better than nothing perhaps. 

This would not address most of my concerns about the optional rules but I think it would be an improvement and would be helpful to inexperienced players in particular.

John,

We would welcome it officially. If you would like to tackle it we would include them in any future patches.. We might even provide you with a WDS cap!

It would be one of those cut & paste things. What would take longer is if the carriage return was implemented at the same time as the optional rules.

David

Careful now...

No changing shit here..........

As is?...............
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2020, 03:51 PM,
(12-30-2020, 02:10 PM)Strela Wrote: John,

We would welcome it officially. If you would like to tackle it we would include them in any future patches.. We might even provide you with a WDS cap!

It would be one of those cut & paste things. What would take longer is if the carriage return was implemented at the same time as the optional rules.

David

David,

That will teach me to shoot my mouth off!

Actually I appreciate the opportunity to make myself useful. Sadly, I do not think this is a 'WDS cap' worthy task but I have my fingers crossed that it may qualify for the T-Shirt. Cool... 

So, are you saying you want the carriage return feature to be used to reformat the entire description? This would make sense as some of the descriptions really could be improved by breaking them into paragraphs. So for example take this Sealion scenario description;

Reading, W of London, July 22nd 1940: The German High Command thought they had identified a "soft" spot in the GHQ Line to the south east of Reading. As a result, most of XV Pz Korps, which had landed the day before, moved to the west to seize Reading. Rommel was leading 7 Pz Division straight into Monty's sector of the GHQ Line. Reading was the prize, can the British hold on until reinforcements reach them? [Size, small] Designer Note: This scenario has been optimized for HTH play.

Using the carriage return and adding the optional rules, this could be changed to;

Reading, W of London, July 22nd 1940:
The German High Command thought they had identified a "soft" spot in the GHQ Line to the south east of Reading. As a result, most of XV Pz Korps, which had landed the day before, moved to the west to seize Reading. Rommel was leading 7 Pz Division straight into Monty's sector of the GHQ Line. Reading was the prize, can the British hold on until reinforcements reach them?

[Size, small]

Designer Note:
This scenario has been optimized for HTH play.

Recommended Rules:
(Default)  Artillery Set Up,  Low Visibility Air Effects,  Night Fatigue,  Programmed Weather

Is this the sort of thing that is wanted?

John
12-30-2020, 04:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2020, 04:22 PM by bigus.)
Lets see!
Your on the right track for sure.

Let's see it in game......
12-30-2020, 07:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2020, 07:01 PM by Mr Grumpy.)
Other things to consider...................

As some scenario descriptions are so lengthy that they will not fit in the text box and you have to scroll down to see the bottom text, should we consider having the suggested optional rules at the top followed by the description?

Also should we consider adding text to say there are specific notes that go with the scenario, I know for stock/standard scenarios this was only included in later titles, but for the Mod scenarios (added in the Gold upgrade) there is always accompanying documents. We can't make players read them but we can make them aware of them?

From my experience the older Mods tend to have a Word doc included (certainly true of mine and VM _Alt scenarios) and later Mods like Mike Prucha's it is a PDT file.
12-30-2020, 07:03 PM,
(12-30-2020, 03:51 PM)Green Wrote:

David,

Does this mean David will get a Christmas card next year?  Wink
12-31-2020, 12:26 AM,
(12-30-2020, 03:51 PM)Green Wrote:

David

David,

Actually I appreciate the opportunity to make myself useful. Sadly, I do not think this is a 'WDS cap' worthy task but I have my fingers crossed that it may qualify for the T-Shirt. Cool... 

So, are you saying you want the carriage return feature to be used to reformat the entire description? This would make sense as some of the descriptions really could be improved by breaking them into paragraphs. So for example take this Sealion scenario description;

Reading, W of London, July 22nd 1940: The German High Command thought they had identified a "soft" spot in the GHQ Line to the south east of Reading. As a result, most of XV Pz Korps, which had landed the day before, moved to the west to seize Reading. Rommel was leading 7 Pz Division straight into Monty's sector of the GHQ Line. Reading was the prize, can the British hold on until reinforcements reach them? [Size, small] Designer Note: This scenario has been optimized for HTH play.

Using the carriage return and adding the optional rules, this could be changed to;

Reading, W of London, July 22nd 1940:
The German High Command thought they had identified a "soft" spot in the GHQ Line to the south east of Reading. As a result, most of XV Pz Korps, which had landed the day before, moved to the west to seize Reading. Rommel was leading 7 Pz Division straight into Monty's sector of the GHQ Line. Reading was the prize, can the British hold on until reinforcements reach them?

[Size, small]

Designer Note:
This scenario has been optimized for HTH play.

Recommended Rules:
(Default)  Artillery Set Up,  Low Visibility Air Effects,  Night Fatigue,  Programmed Weather

Is this the sort of thing that is wanted?

John

John,

I believe so. We had been using using carriage returns in that way for upcoming titles. We had not included optional rules as recommended, but I will go back to the teams to get that included. I agree with Mr Grumpy that having Optional Rules higher would be good, but I expect the descriptions to generally be all over the place and there is not an expectation to reorder/rewrite them.

If you are keen John, I can PM you directly and we can thrash out exactly what is the best way to tackle it all...!

David
12-31-2020, 06:36 AM,
(12-31-2020, 12:26 AM)Strela Wrote: John,

I believe so. We had been using using carriage returns in that way for upcoming titles. We had not included optional rules as recommended, but I will go back to the teams to get that included. I agree with Mr Grumpy that having Optional Rules higher would be good, but I expect the descriptions to generally be all over the place and there is not an expectation to reorder/rewrite them.

If you are keen John, I can PM you directly and we can thrash out exactly what is the best way to tackle it all...!

David

David,

All sounds good to me. Yes, I am keen.

John
12-31-2020, 06:39 AM,
(12-30-2020, 07:03 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Does this mean David will get a Christmas card next year?  Wink

Well, yes, I may have been a bit hasty in altering my list. Well spotted. You cannot imagine how pleased I am to have this brought to my attention. Or perhaps you really can?

I owe you one...    Smile
12-31-2020, 04:41 PM,
Guyss, you are wonderful.
Thanks a lot, makes me believe next year will be great :)
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
01-16-2021, 01:56 PM,
Hi All,

Just wanted to bump this thread up. With the last three patches (Kharkov '43, MarketGarden '44 *& Minsk '44), you should see the new scenario descriptions including recommended optional rules.

Not looking for feedback, but ensuring all are aware of the standard that will be in all the PzC & PzB series going forward. We will be going back and updating the patches for the six PzC games already updated. That will be at the end of the current patching cycle.

Thanks,

David