• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Have default optional rules changed?
12-30-2020, 08:50 AM,
RE: Have default optional rules changed?
(12-30-2020, 05:38 AM)_72z Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 12:40 PM)dto Wrote: [quote pid="441631" dateline="1608684938"]

I was lucky enough to have some of my edited versions of standard scenarios included in the Gold updates and I took just this approach with detailing which Opt rules to use in the scenario description as you can see below, simple but effective way of cutting through the Opt rules murk...........

[Image: Opt%20rules%20S41.jpg]

This should be standard for all scenarios in all games.

Michael

I'll go a bit further -it'd be great if an engine change could be made so that the textbox is able to use html or similar formatting to improve legibility such as allowing for spacing and bullet points.
[/quote]

Just been done. \ will now put a carriage return in when used in the text box.

Not certain who will go back and update the prior scenario descriptions, but the capability is there...
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2020, 09:01 AM,
(12-23-2020, 12:40 PM)dto Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 10:55 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 03:45 AM)KAreil Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 12:08 AM)Nico165 Wrote: Or simply starting by adding the optional rules recommended by the designer in the scenario description. So all the basics you need would be right before your eyes when you select a scenario. Then you can start searching further in the docs or forums if you want to.

Second this.
Least effort for most gain I think.

Well great minds think alike! LOL

I was lucky enough to have some of my edited versions of standard scenarios included in the Gold updates and I took just this approach with detailing which Opt rules to use in the scenario description as you can see below, simple but effective way of cutting through the Opt rules murk...........

[Image: Opt%20rules%20S41.jpg]

This should be standard for all scenarios in all games.

Michael

Agreed!
No programming needed.
Life is so simple sometimes.
12-30-2020, 09:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2020, 09:06 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Of all the solutions suggested this is in theory the easiest to implement with the current tools we have, each scenario description would have the suggested list of optional rules to be used included (as in the example above).

However we are 24 titles into the PzC series and those 24 titles have maybe 40 scenarios on average so that equates to almost a 1000 scenario descriptions to be updated!

I have added a fair chunk of those scenarios into the Blitz DB over the years and believe me it is a mind numbingly boring task............

As David says it is doubtful anyone has the time to take on such a huge project, but it would be a fantastic achievement if it was done.
12-30-2020, 09:34 AM,
(12-30-2020, 09:04 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Of all the solutions suggested this is in theory the easiest to implement with the current tools we have, each scenario description would have the suggested list of optional rules to be used included (as in the example above).

However we are 24 titles into the PzC series and those 24 titles have maybe 40 scenarios on average so that equates to almost a 1000 scenario descriptions to be updated!

I have added a fair chunk of those scenarios into the Blitz DB over the years and believe me it is a mind numbingly boring task............

As David says it is doubtful anyone has the time to take on such a huge project, but it would be a fantastic achievement if it was done.

Ah, and life throws a curveball.
What else is new.

I guess at the end of the day someone would have to go through all the scenarios.
It is a suggestion to implement for future scenarios though.
12-30-2020, 09:43 AM,
(12-30-2020, 09:34 AM)bigus Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 09:04 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Of all the solutions suggested this is in theory the easiest to implement with the current tools we have, each scenario description would have the suggested list of optional rules to be used included (as in the example above).

Ah, and life throws a curveball.
What else is new.

I guess at the end of the day someone would have to go through all the scenarios.
It is a suggestion to implement for future scenarios though.
Yes what appears the easiest solution would be a lot of work for some poor person......

However I agree that it should be no real extra work to included the opt rules in upcoming titles scenario descriptions?
12-30-2020, 10:16 AM,

Actually this does not sound like such a big job to me. Tedious, yes, but adding some text to the end of the scenario descriptions is not difficult. 

I would be happy to do this myself and make it available for download if the interest is there. It would be preferable if it was done officially so that updates did not require re-installing my versions each time but it would be better than nothing perhaps. 

This would not address most of my concerns about the optional rules but I think it would be an improvement and would be helpful to inexperienced players in particular.
12-30-2020, 10:47 AM,
I agree 100%
12-30-2020, 10:50 AM,
Hopefully that Chinese guy will do it - Sum Wun!
12-30-2020, 10:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2020, 11:08 AM by bigus.)
(12-30-2020, 10:50 AM)Lethal Wrote: Hopefully that Chinese guy will do it - Sum Wun!

Or if you have time, Sum Ting Tu Do.
12-30-2020, 02:10 PM,
(12-30-2020, 10:16 AM)Green Wrote:

Actually this does not sound like such a big job to me. Tedious, yes, but adding some text to the end of the scenario descriptions is not difficult. 

I would be happy to do this myself and make it available for download if the interest is there. It would be preferable if it was done officially so that updates did not require re-installing my versions each time but it would be better than nothing perhaps. 

This would not address most of my concerns about the optional rules but I think it would be an improvement and would be helpful to inexperienced players in particular.

John,

We would welcome it officially. If you would like to tackle it we would include them in any future patches.. We might even provide you with a WDS cap!

It would be one of those cut & paste things. What would take longer is if the carriage return was implemented at the same time as the optional rules.

David