• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMBB Storm 555
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM,
RE: CMBB Storm 555
LOL! :)
From all the feedback I have had on the battle (and it's been out awhile now) the aircraft does little or no damage. Mind you, there was a single instance while it was over at the Proving grounds of the aircraft knocking out one of his comrades tanks. I wonder which play tester that happened to? :whis:
Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2008, 09:54 AM,
I recall I've played Storm555 3 times in the past, I think the first two were okay but in the third I was bombed in fog and rain so I quit on the spot in protest, maybe it was a new version or something..:)
I mean, aircraft might well bomb in fog and rain in Alice in Wonderland, but not in serious adult wargames like CM..:)
In fact there was a big discussion in Proving Grounds last year about whether scen designers should unrealistically tweak the program with things like that, and by putting pillboxes in houses, tanks in rubble etc.
I pointed out that doing things like that can make the program glitch and bug like crazy (a proven fact), but of course I was howled down as usual.
No big deal, I tell scen designers to STICK WITH SPIKE OR TAKE A HIKE, meaning that if they ignore my advice they're gonna have ter get themselves another boy to test their stuff in future..:)
For examp, a guy just sent me his scen to test and he's got conscript and green American tanks in it, totally useless, so I said 'change them to Veterans and i'll be glad to test it'.
But he refused, so i'm currently testing somebody elses game instead..:)
04-01-2008, 10:42 AM,
Spiker me old mate, I was just teasing you! ;)
You were good enough to play test that scenario for me and supplied me with useful info.
We all know your thoughts on how a scenario should be made and I respect your views but disagree with them :rolleyes:
I won't go into the bug/glitch debate as it's been covered many times. But as the designer, I wanted the aircraft in the scenario because I wanted it to be close to the original scenario as possible (not that easy!). Most players these days know how to use the editor so it's an easy thing to remove the aircraft before playing the scenario.
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM,
British Tommy Wrote:We all know your thoughts on how a scenario should be made and I respect your views but disagree with them :rolleyes:

GO HERE THEN mate - http://www.wonderland.co.uk/grotto.htm
04-02-2008, 12:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2008, 12:58 AM by British Tommy.)
Had a look at that site but didn't spot you lurking there :P:
04-02-2008, 02:17 AM,
That game is good fun as long as you're aware that it's unbalanced (though perhaps it's been updated since I played it?).

I played it twice and the Russians just rolled over the Germans.
The Germans get lots of useless Halftracks which are easy points for the Russians...best thing for most of them is to drive them off the map...
04-02-2008, 05:33 AM,
There is a "Storm 555 updated" that makes the Germans stronger - actually it imbalances it the other way imo - I have it on my hard drive.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-02-2008, 05:51 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:There is a "Storm 555 updated" that makes the Germans stronger - actually it imbalances it the other way imo - I have it on my hard drive.
It's very difficult to get the balance right :(
Plus you have to take into account the various tactics the players might use. Fiddle around with it too much and you end up with a scenario that's far removed from the original Talonsoft EF one.
04-02-2008, 05:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2008, 05:57 AM by WarHammer11A.)
I just finished this game against 95Bravo (Russian), I was not impressed in the first 5 or 6 turns, with the weather and limited sight. However it turned out to be a fun game, half the fun is 95bravo in its self. I was straffed 6 or 7 times, my AA never even reacted. Those planes only killed 1 tank commander. They had zero effect on the game. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate it a 7.:bow:
The results of our game
Germans took a minor victory......
04-02-2008, 05:56 AM,
British Tommy Wrote:
Der Kuenstler Wrote:There is a "Storm 555 updated" that makes the Germans stronger - actually it imbalances it the other way imo - I have it on my hard drive.
It's very difficult to get the balance right :(
Plus you have to take into account the various tactics the players might use. Fiddle around with it too much and you end up with a scenario that's far removed from the original Talonsoft EF one.

I follow you here as will most designers do.
visit WaT HERE!!!