• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Next Title - Courland Pocket?
02-19-2024, 04:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2024, 02:54 AM by MisterMark.)
RE: Next Title - Courland Pocket?
(02-18-2024, 05:56 AM)MisterMark Wrote:
(02-18-2024, 04:56 AM)Nick R�sch Wrote: Knowing your personal history you might be interested in recently published "The Road of Slaughter: The Latvian 15th SS Division in Pomerania, January-March 1945" by Vincent Hunt, Helion/Casemate.  It disabuses many long held fallacies regarding this division.

A podcast interviewing the author can be found at https://ww2podcast.com/ww2-podcast/216-t...an-legion/

Publisher info at https://www.casematepublishers.com/97818...slaughter/

Ah I'll check it out for sure.!   I also had an Uncle in Latvia that was conscripted by the Russians and then at some point he was captured and conscripted by the Germans.  I always wondered if he got pressed into the Latvian Legion.  When I was a kid I used to ask him all the time about war stories and he never seemed to want to talk about it.  Whether he was forced into the Latvian Legion Waffen SS, the general Wehrmacht or any national army for that matter, I can understand now as an adult why he wouldn't want to re-live any of it.

Got a chance to listen to the podcast... seems the Latvians that had to fight were between a rock and a hard place.  They more or less were pawns played by both the Soviets and Nazis throughout the war and individuals had to choose which of the two evils they were going to align with, whether it be for survival, a hatred for a particular side or some notion that one side could grant some semblance of an independent Latvia after the war.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Next Title - Courland Pocket? - by MisterMark - 02-18-2024, 12:32 AM
RE: Next Title - Courland Pocket? - by Nick.Rusch - 02-18-2024, 04:56 AM
RE: Next Title - Courland Pocket? - by MisterMark - 02-18-2024, 05:56 AM
RE: Next Title - Courland Pocket? - by MisterMark - 02-19-2024, 04:15 AM
RE: Next Title - Courland Pocket? - by Nick.Rusch - 02-21-2024, 03:13 AM
RE: Next Title - Courland Pocket? - by MisterMark - 02-22-2024, 04:34 AM